Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

Lamiglas "Composite" line

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

Where in the price / performance spectrum will Lami's new "Composite" series fall? Back when Fenwick was a major player in the quality blank market, they fiddled around with "composite" material - marketed as their Matrix series as I recall, and they priced out way below graphite and performed in the S-glass range. Loomis's "Hybrid" seies, on the other hand, is some of their priciest stuff, so I am curious as to which fork in the road Lami's going down with this effort.

Bill,

Excellent question. From all the Lami composite blanks I have been playing with, and that's about all the models, they are built for both durabilty and performance. They are priced well below the Loomis hybrids and I believe offer alot more value for the money.

The current models only have one for surf application, and that is the C6909, which is 9 foot one piece. It makes an excellent jetty rod for slinging eels and throwing 2-4 ounce payloads. It is also ideal for the extreme surfcasting practiced up here in Montauk because of it's durability.

I will be talking to Todd V. of Lamiglas to see if they are considering composite surf blanks to offer in the near future.

Al G.

Bill, back when you are talking about, was when fiberglass material cost almost nothing and carbon fiber material was still priced as if it were being made for aerospace. In those days they were 95% glass and just enough graphite to be able to call them that. Now they are made differently, and the cost of carbon fiber products have come down considerably but the cost of woven fiber (glass) has gone up. The current models are probably rated right along with the standard modulus blanks, but have much more to offer.

------------------

Todd Vivian

todd@lamiglas.com

http://www.lamiglas.com

When will the new line be for sale? I noticed in the Clemens catalog they have 6 models listed, the C6909 being 9' rated 20-50lb line. I have another catalog which lists 11 models. Al, are these the ones what you've seen, or are there more coming out?

Thank you, BIlly

Al

Checked out the jpeg and the C6909 weighs 14+ ounces for a 9 foot blank. Is that right? The GSB1081 is only 6 1/2. Even the venerable 1363M 11 foot fiberglas is listed at 14.

Steve,

The C6909 is a composite blank rated from 20-50 lb. The wall thickness is quite substantial so I am not surprised that the blank weighs in at 14+ ounces.

We have already field tested it at Montauk slinging eels and bucktails under the Light and it is quite a stick. Very tough and durable.

Al

Hi Steve. I have built the C6909. Montclair Dave field tested it for me at Montauk. Took a 30# bass under the light. I built it to withstand the punishment in the rocks. It casts 1 1/2 oz bucktails beautifully. I hope to try it myself soon. If you would like to see it email me. I am in Sayville, NY