GSH901MT Question

Rate this topic

MNW

Al,

I just got the blank described below. I'm looking to buy guides, a cork grip and a trigger reel seat. I want to know what sizes to look for (butt length, foregrip length, overall grip length, guide spacing etc...) I'll be using it for light-med saltwater in back bays flats and rivers and once in a while in Florida for reds, seatrout and snook. I have a 6600 Abu Garcia on it and I'll more than likely be using 50lb Whiplash.

Thanks in advance.

Lamiglas GSH901MT

Length ------ 7'6''

Pieces ------ 1

Butt OD ----- .585

Tip ----- 5.5

Weight ----- 2.875

Line Weight - 8-17

Lure Weight - 1/4-1 3/4

Mike W.

Mike,

Now that is what I call perfect timing. I am building one of these myself for a charter skipper I fish with in Montauk. it will be used for lead heads with plastics for bass and for albacore. He tried mine this year and was very impressed.

Here is how I set it up:

16 inch cork butt

6 inch cork foregrip. I use flocked cork.

#18 Fuji trigger seat.

Fuji NSG guides: 20, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8 plus a PST tip.

Approximate guide spacing:

#20 stripper 23 inches from the center of the reelseat.

1st #8 guide 4.0 inches from the tip.

Space the remaining guides as follows: 4.5, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 7.5 and 8.5 all in inches.

Al,

I'm looking to get cork grips for this blank. The largest I've found on the internet are from Mudhole.com and those are 13.75". I've measured the length on the blank and it seems to fit it well. then with a 5" reel seat and a 4" or 5" fore grip it would total between 23" and 24" . If the difference is negligible then I can proceed with those specs. If not then can I "meld" or "splice" cork to get to the desired length? St. Croix makes a grip "kit" with a 14" butt 4.5" fore-grip and a 4.5" trigger reel seat.

Which would be the most desirable??

Thanks,

Mike W.