Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angryeel

cracked ferule

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi Al, went to replace a broken stripper guide on a rod today and found that the ferule was cracked. Unfortunately I bought the rod second hand, so the warranty is probably not available to be, as I have no prof of purchase. Anyway, I am wondering about making it a one piece. Will this work? and if so; do I want to wrap the guide, then epoxy the rod together, or epoxy then wrap? Any help would be much appreciated. The worst thing is, the person who sold me the rod is a builder and had to have been aware of the crack; in fact they covered it with about 8 coats of flex coat to try to hide it. I noticed the additional finish when I purchased the rod, but was assured that it was only there because the origional finish had started to lift. I guess it probably did lift, being that the rod was cracked and all. Live and learn I guess, but I would love to be able to at least have a functional rod out of the deal. Thanks again for any help.

Gabe

Just read all old posts I could find and wanted to add that it is the female portion of the ferrule that is cracked, and that the crack is about 1.5" long and goes completely through the blank for the first 1/2" from the base of the tip section. Thanks Al.

[This message has been edited by Angryeel (edited 05-14-2002).]

I have made successful repairs of this nature by stripping the thread wrap and epoxying a metal ferrule or a section of metal ferrule over the cracked section. I use the minimun length of metal needed to preserve as much rod action as possible. The welt (re-inforced rim) of the metal should be at the open end. Finish by wrapping 1/2 inch of blank beyond the metal and up over the metal to the welt. This allows you to camoflage and blend the metal piece to appear as though it "grew" in place. It may be necessary to taper file the non-welt end of the ferrule piece so the thread wraps over it smoothly.

Gabe,

You may possibly be able to repair the ferrule. Here is what I would do.

- First strip off all the old finish on the female ferrule. Use a heatgun to soften the finish and scrape it away.

- Lightly sand the surface along the outer edges of the crack.

- Get a tube of CA super glue, the thin stuff, almost like water. Run it along the crack and let it seep in.

At this point you want to sleeve over the female ferrule with wither thin walled copper or aluminum tubing, or use a piece of thin walled fiberglass blank material.

- Carefully fit the sleave over the female ferrule and epoxy glue in place.

- Taper sand down the tipward edge of the sleave.

- Carefully wrap the female ferrule with size A thread at least 1 inch back from the sleave and wrap right to the edge of the female ferrule.

- Apply two thin coats of finish to the reinforced ferrule.

= Apply a thin coat of finish and let it cure for three day.

Thanks for the responses! Al, does it matter if the ferrule still seems to hold o.k.? The reason I ask is that, to my inexperienced eyes, it looks like I am trying to stop the crack from getting any worse; as of yet it has had no negative impact on the rod, and I have fished it. It is a Lami xs10mhc, and I have power cast as much as 4oz tins without any noticeable problems. Will making the rod a one piece not help in stopping the crack from spreading? I have no real problem with the rod being a one piece; in fact, I would have prefered it that way, but I thought I was getting a good deal on the two piece. Thanks again for the quick response.

Gabe

Gabe,

You can make it into a one piece rod by epoxy glueing the ferrule. However, I would still sleave the female ferrule to reinforce the wall or else you will have a "ticking time bomb" just waiting to fail at the worst time with a good fish on.

Just wanted to post this: I called the person I bought the rod from; as it turns out, he is an extremely honest person who made honest mistake; I now believe that he did not know of the problem. Further he was kind enough to take the rod back, as he had filled out the warranty card, and return my $ smile.gif . I know the person in question reads these boards, but does not post often; I just wanted to make it known that he is truly a gentleman and also seems to build some darn good looking rods. Anyway, all is resolved and I am sorry for jumping to conclusions. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions.

Gabe