Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurffishNJ

Breakaway 1509

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Al or anyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help with cutting down the 1509 to 12'4" as done on the Hatteras Outfitters Rods. I recnetly purchased two 1509 balnks and want to get it right the first time. Also what about guide size and spacing. The reel will be a ABU 7500 with 20# Sufix.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

------------------

<*{{{{{{-<

FISHLANDERS VP

I don't have any experirence with this particular blank. The specs are from 3-6 ounces though.

Since you are setting it up as a conventional you will need to determine the proper length of the butt section from the butt end to the base of the reelseat. This will be approximately 25-28 inches unless you are very tall with long arms.

Once you have determined the butt length you will need to address the placement of the guides. This will be determine by the guide model and size of guides you will be using. I would recommend either the Fuji NSG or HNSG guides in the following sizes:

NSG 25,20,16,16,12,12,12,12,12 plus a UST tip with a #12 ring.

HNSG 20,16,16,16,12,12,12,12,12 plus a UST tip with a #12 ring.

Stripper guide placement from center of reel seat to stripper guide: NSG 28 inches. HNSG 20 - 25 inches.

From first #12 guide to tip 5 inches.

You will need to test cast and do a stress distribution test to finalize guide positions.

You can't go wrong with Al' numbers but I think you will also find spacing information on Breakaway's site. You may want look around there. It actually be on Nick Meyer's companion site www.nickaway (I think).

Best of luck.

Tom

I checked. You can find Nick Meyer's spacings for the 1509 at

http://www.nickaway.com/eye__plasement.htm

The 1509 is listed as LDFC TP 150H-2H. This is assuming a rod that that is 12.5 feet in size. You should know what Hatteras Outfitters has their own spacing system which is different than Nicks.

Again, you can't go wrong with Al's recommendations.

Tom