Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcaster1

Uplocking Reel Seat on Surf Rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Mine are all built with the nut facing the tip too. That way, the heel of my hand doesn't loosen the nut while I'm reeling (I grip the rod with the reel stem between my middle and ring fingers).

I build my spinners with the Nut facing to the tip for the same reason Ditch just mentioned. you can "unscrew" your reel simply by moving your hand. I build my conventionals with the nut down because you reel with one hand in front of the reel and that hand can loosen the reel seat while fighting a fish or retrieving...

BC

I like my spinners with the nut down since I put the reel stem between my pinky and ring finger. On conventionals I like it on top just because that's what I'm used to.

icon14.gif Thanks for your reassurance guys. Yesterday I epoxied a reel seat into position on a GSB120L and this morning locked in a Penn 706Z to see how it felt. I realized I installed the reel seat with the threads toward the tip and for some reason thought I had screwed-up big time - that the threads should have been toward the butt.

Ditch & BC - I see what you mean about your palm being able to loosen the nut if the threads were toward the butt. I also hold a rod with the reel stem between my middle and ring finger.

Thanks for everyone's response. I had visions of cutting off the reel seat with a Dremel and starting all over again.

Surf,

Either way its ok... you can always make a couple of wraps of electrical tape over the nut so it wont unscrew... Sometimes, because of using double cork tape wraps on the foregrip, I have to place the nut towards the bottom of the blank. I just use electrical tape and its all good..

BC