Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flatbow

SU or SW - What's the difference?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I can't quite figure this out... I built a SU1087 for plugging, and want to build a slighter heavier/longer rod.

I'm looking at the 1208, or 1088 with an extension, but other than about $20, what's the difference between the SU and SW series blanks? They both are listed asd RX7, mod/fast, etc...

according to the specs of the rods there is a little difference..which might or might not be a big difference in how it works?the(SU1208 Matte Clear 10'0" 1 15-30lb. 2-5oz. 0.850 9.0 Mod-Fast Med-Hvy n/a) the (SW1208 Trns.Blk / M Clear 10'0" 1 20-30lb. 1-4oz. 0.820 8.0 Mod-Fast Hvy 11.17oz.) the (SU1088 Matte Clear 9'0" 1 15-30lb. 2-5oz. 0.750 9.0 Mod-Fast Med-Hvy n/a) the (SW1088 Trns.Blk / M Clear 8'10" 1 20-30lb. 1-4oz. 0.775 8.0 Mod-Fast Med-Hvy 8.65oz) from what i see butt and tip diameters and power ratings and stuff like that.the sw series come in trans clear also.

SU = full 9 feet

SW = 8'10"

SW has a mod/fast bend

SU has a slightly faster one.

SU can handle an ounce or two more in same blank #s

Subjectively, and only IMO, the SW compares in overall action and feel to older Sabre IGSC blanks (at half the price). SU compares to All Star GSW blanks.

DitchJigger, I just built a SW1087 and was surprised when I measured the blank and it was a full 9' and not 8' 10". I called Batson Enterprises and they said the SW are now made as full 9' blanks but this info has not yet been changed on the web site.

I have and fish both a SW1208 and a SU1208 conventional. To me the SU's are not as fast taper as the SW and IMO are better for jigs/plastics in the cape cod canal than the SW1208. The SW1208 is great for throwing/ fishing big plugs, but the SU1208 excells with jigging or working 3-4 oz lead heads with plastic.

Hope this helps.

Bill

I was referring to the 1088 blanks. My SU is stiffer and faster than my wife's SW. Hers is an 8'10" SW.

I would agree that the All Star or SU 1208 is a more moderate taper blank than the SW 1208.