Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neil

Alternative approach to building a light lure slinger

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

It is intersting to note how many folk are looking for the"subject" rod.So I thought maybe some of you"roll-your-owners" might be interested in something that I've been at for quite a while.

I'm always looking for a"better"mousetrap and am just egotistical enough to believe that I can build with the best.Mostly I find this is a bit far fetched But I have had some success as well.

A prime candidate for a Bomber-YZ type rod is something rated for up to 2oz or a bit more and up to 25-30lb line so that should you hook up to big Momma you have enough"power" in the butt to"press the fish".Or at least that's how I see it.

Enter the Mag Bass Blanks!A great example is the AllStar BEMB846:5/8 to 2oz lures,up to 30lb line,7ft long.U use the butt section of a 2 piece"value priced" e glass 8-10ft surf rod to extend the blank to just about any length you desire up to about 11ft. depending on the inside diameter of the ferrule end of the butt section of the surf blank.

Probably the only major drawback is that since"action" is a function of the % of the blank that flexes under a load you can wind-up with a rod that's too fast to be able to cast comfortably but only if you start going beyond about 9-9.5 feet.

Since there's no way to know if anyone would be interested I'll end my post here and just say that anyone interested can e mail me at

reelseat@aol.com and I'll be happy to go into whatever detail you desire.Tight lines to all, Neil