Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Graybeard

Lamiglas OEM Blanks

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Eminent Brother Al,

I was looking over the Lamiglas web site and they have OEM Saltwater e-glass blank at a reduced price. I'm looking to build a Chesapeake Bay trolling rod that I could also use for deep water jigging. Do the OEM Saltwater blanks look like they would serve my purpose?? A Lamiglas blank for that price is hard to pass up!

Graybeard

Eminent and Fast Brother AL,

I was looking at models E865B and E2707B. The application is trolling in the Chesapeake Bay. Most guys I know use something like a 3/0 class rod and a GTI330 reel with 30# test. Going a bit lighter is becoming popular with GTI320's and lighter line. Light tackle trolling as it's starting to be called. I would also like to get some other uses out of it like deep water jigging.

Graybeard

pirate3.gif

[This message has been edited by Graybeard (edited 01-31-2001).]

Thank you Eminent Brother,

Just what is Classic California Action and what is the basic application of these blanks. No one in these parts seems to know and they don't seem to be in any catalog I have. I've been anxiously awaiting Brother Al's advise, but; it sure sounds like I need to get my order in tomarrow.

Graybeard

pirate3.gif

[This message has been edited by Graybeard (edited 01-31-2001).]

Brother Graybeard,

I apologize for the delay in responding. These are first quality blanks that have a fast taper with light tips and very powerful butts. I have a 660 that makes a dandy deep jigging rod. The blanks you chose I am not that familiar with, but they are similarly rated to the 660, just longer. Therefore I am guessing they should work for your needs.

Al

Eminent Brother Al

Thanks for the get back. I've decided to have one of my buddy's build a rod out of my Lamiglas blank. He has better equipment then me and his thread work is much better. We got into a discussion of reel seats. I was thinking graphite, but; he recommended aluminum. I got a 7 footer because I was thinking about cutting to tip 6" to get a thicker section.

Graybeard

pirate3.gif

Brother Graybeard,

I would not trim the tip back more than two inches on these blanks or you will probably end up with a bat. They have a very fast taper so trim from the tip slowly.

You can use a Fuji seat, just mount the seat downlocking and use a reel clamp for security.

Brother Al