Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thegreek

trolling rod help

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

my cousin wants to get into trolling for bass. since neither myself or my cousin have trolled with spoons i need help. i've built countless rods for the surf and for the bridge, but i'm clueless as to a trolling rod. i need a rod that i can troll spoons and umbrellas.

i remember someone telling me about a rod no more than 8 1/2 feet with a pretty slow action to get the spoon to swimm the right way.

here's what i'm thinking.

- lami SSB1363M cut down to 8.5 feet with about a 14 or 16 tip

- carbide guides

- reelseat that'll fit a 4/0

- grips i'm not sure yet (foam, cork, hypalon, etc.) and the length of grips i'm not sure of.

please help.

If your talking about trolling bunker spoons I'd recomend the Lami 3M and use it at 10' It really pumps spoons extremly well. It wont be a great rod for umbrella rigs. I dont really want to make a recomendation of rod for umbrellas. I used umbrellas once and that was enough for me.

TG,

I just wrapped the Lamiglas BT1083M this off season. I'm not using it for trolling though. I cut it down to 8'3" make a conventional for chunking, inshore togging, fluking etc...

At full length I'd say it would be perfect for what you're looking for. A nice moderate action should really sweep those bunker spoons nicely. I used a sixe 20 Fugi reel seat but i think one size larger might be better suited for the larger reels you would use when trolling. As far as grips is concerned I guess I would use Eva foam grips.

I'm no expert on boat rods but the 1083m intended purpose sounds like it would be just what you are looking for.

Mike W.

MNW is right on recommending the Lami BT1083M. To make this into a wire line trolling rod trim the tip back six inches to a #12 tip. Trim slowly until you get a good fit with the carbaloy tip.

Use an Aftco machined one piece reelseat, 12 inch slick butt, Aftco gimbal and a 8-10 inch EVA fore grip. Make sure you get the braced carbaloy guides: 18,16,16,14,14,12,12,12 plus a tip with an oversize ring to allow a small swivel to pass through.