Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Softhackle

Combination Guide Sets

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi Bruce,

Your idea would work. However, the only advantage I see is that the overall weight of the guides would be lighter. On the blanks you are considering I do not know how much it would add to the casting performance of the finished rod. I am sure that the single foot guides would stand up unless you are particularly hard on your tackle.

Al

Yes, I want to cut down the weight on the tip section. I made a 1204 with hardloy high frame double foots 40hh,30h,25h,25m 20h and a 20 tip, The rod seems really tip heavy to me. I can cut the guide weight in half by going to sic and using single foots after the 40hh. Even the difference between the sic 40hh and the hardloy 40hh is a good amount of weight savings. I guess I am spoiled by fishing conventional where guide weight isn't an issue. I would like to try the Titanium alloy frame single foots sic but they are expensive. I put a set on a scale the other day and didnt see a big difference between the stainless frame single foot sic and the titanium alloy frame single foot sic.They turned out to be about 1/4 total weight less. But I was suprised at how much lighter sic is than hardloy. Take care Thanks Bruce

Hey Ken nice to hear from you and thanks for the suggestion. I try to keep away from adding lead to the butt end. I really want to keep the total weight as low as possible. Most places I fish are walk in spots and I could be out there for hours casting. One of the issues I have is I like the real seat more towards the butt end of the rod so that shifts the balance to the tip. If I move the reel seat forward the butt end gets caught up a lot and its a pain to fish the rod. Then if I fish a lighter rod say a mb1083 I wont land the really big fish. Its all a big quandry, I am still searching for the perfect rod. I like the mb1083 for smaller fish on the sand beaches, I like the xra1204 but I think its too parabolic for stearing bigger fish over 25lbs out of the rocks. So I got this xra1205 it seems stiff as a board but is a bit heavy. So I want to tie it as light as I can and do some fishing to see how it act's. If all else fails I will tear it down and build it conventional and I wont have this problem. See you in January, Take care.

Bruce,

I hear what your saying about adding weight but sometimes with that amount of length it just can't be helped.

Check out the latest issue of Rodmaker magazine they have a locking wrap for single foot guides that might give you a little extra holding power for those brute fish.

Ken

Well I got some weights on the guide sets. Here they are if anyone is interested. HVSG 40HH, YSG30,25,20 LVSG20 BPLT20 #11 all Sic guides came in at 34.3 grams. The Hardloy BHVLG 40hh 30h 25h 25m 20m BPLT20 #11 came in at 49.5 grams. The lvsg20 2.1g, ysg20 2.2g ysg25 4g, ysg30 5.4g . Thats a big weight savings over the BHVLG 20m 5.1g, 25m 7g, 25h 8.7g, 30H 8.5G, 40HH 16.8g. I really like the weight savings out at the tip, now I'll set the rod up and see how it casts. Happy Hollidays to all, Bruce.

Bruce,

The first great relation I learned along time ago was to experiment. I apllied that to rod building, fishing and my prefessional and private life.

Go for it! Please let me know how it works out.

Best for the holidays.

Al