Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Lami SB136 3M guide question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Mr. Goldberg, I recently came into possession of a couple of these most wiggly blanks. The first thing Dubs noted was "HOLY SMOKES!!! That thing's gonna need a lot of guides!"

I agreed! But the question is, assuming I leave this honey colored beauty full length, what would be your recommended guide layout? I did first check your wonderful reference tool, Spining the Blank, Guide Selection and Preparation that you so graciously provided for SOL...but alas, the 11'6" monster was not discussed wink.gif

Considering the flexible nature of this thang and the fact that I intend to bend it right to the cork, what kinda recommendation on guide size, number, and spacing can you recommend? And if it's ok with you, can I incorporate your response into the above article? You know, one more question you won't have to answer again! biggrin.gif

Thank you in advance and I look forward to making your aquaintance one day soon.

TimS

Hi Tim,

Here is the guide sizes for spinning:

Fuji High Frame in Hardaloy or SIC 40HH, 30H, 25H, 20H, 20H, 20M, 20M and an SIC tip with a #20 ring.

Spacing is approximately as follows:

40HH stripper 45 inches from face of spool.

20M guide 8 inches from tip measured from ring to ring.

Space the remaining guides in 1 inch increasing intervals toward the stripper. e.g. 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17.

Tape on the guides and test cast it. Adjust the location of the stripper guide to eliminate the line slap and re-adjust the spacing of the remaining guides.

Do a stress distribution test and make a minor guide spacing adjustments as required.

This is all going to be it Part 3.

Al

Hi Al and Tim, just gotta ask is this to be conventional or spinner? That 40mm stripper to me is small for a spinner and large for a conventional. Al, just another of my dumb questions. Prospector. Yeah I did see that it said spinner, but thought is was a mistake.

[This message has been edited by Prospector (edited 04-05-2001).]

Prospector,

It's a 40HH super high frame. Being an "Ol' Salt" you are probably used to a 75 mm stripper.

As far as for conventional guides I would go with the Fuji BHNLG's in 20, 16, 16, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12 and a UST SIC tip with a #12 ring. Spacing would be about 30 inches from the center of the seat to the stripper and 6 inches from the tip to the first guide.

Al

Thank you kind sir wink.gif Seeing as how I didn't mention it, thanks also to Prospector...I wanted the conventional layout but forgot to mention that! icon15.gif So now I got the guide layout for both, spinning and conventional...looks like I'm gonna need another 136 3M real soon now wink.gif

Al, from the responses to my guide questions on conventionals, it seems that the BHNLG #12 should be the one I should buy a box at a time if I'm gonna be making a lot of surf conventionals, huh? smile.gif I'm putting together a guide order now...it's gonna be big and ugly!!

Thanks again for the help, I'll let ya know how it comes out!

TimS

Yeah Al, I've got big guides on the brain. My one and only spinner a 1321L has a 50 high and I still think it's small, all 4 of my 11ft conventionals start at 30mm and terminate at a 16mm SIC top. I guess you heard that old story about old dogs and new tricks. I like the big tips so I don't have to deal with barrels being stuck all night as in 12's don't need them for the fish or casting, just swivels. I've always got an open mind as to new things but it just takes a little longer to sink in this thick skull I have. If somebody's got a better mousetrap, I'm all ears. Thanks Prospector

[This message has been edited by Prospector (edited 04-05-2001).]

Yes Tim, the BHNLG series is a favorite of mine and I too buy them by the box.

Another great application for the 136 3M is for a bunker spoon trolling rod. Trim the tip to a #16 and cut the butt to get a 10 foot blank. Put a gimbal, 12 inch Slick Butt and an Aftco machined aluminum seat as the handle assembly.

You can either wrap it with carbaloy guides or USG SIC Fuji's. Match it with a Penn 113H Special Senator and you have a great outfit.

Just a FYI, the 40HH Fuji guide is equal in size to a 67mm wire guide.

------------------

Tight lines

Eric Peterson

CustomSurfTackle@aol.com

Berkeley Striper Club Seaside Park N.J.

**I'm trying to fix your signature - TimS

[This message has been edited by TimS (edited 04-06-2001).]

Thanks Linesider for the lesson on whats new. I don't build many rods and don't have a clue as to the new stuff except what I see in catalogs and never would have considered a 40mm guide for spinning. Thanks. Prospector