Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghmason

Rod Blank purpose

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

First of all as a newcomer to this board I would like to thank every one for making it the great resource that it is. I would have made about 10 rods over the last few years, mainly for my own purposes of inshore/surf fishing here in eastern North Carolina. My question pertains to the purposes or classification of rod blanks in catalogues. Without being any more wordy, and by example if I find a Rainshadow 7'6" IP904 that I want to build a spinning rod out of for speckled trout-puppy drum fishing, how concerned should I be that the catalogue says it is a "Bass Popping Blank"?

I have found a considerable number of blanks at prices that appeal to me in sizes I am interested in that say they are for purposes different than what I intend to use it for. Thanks for any feedback.

GHMason

I would be guided more by the line/lure weight ratings of a rod rather than the "purpose" which the manufacturer advertises it. For example, some of the most popular light-duty surf plugging rods many of the NJ crew here use are built on salmon or steelhead blanks.

One of my favorite light plugging/jigging rods I ever owned was just a cheap Shakepeare "flipping" rod.

ghmason,

Welcome aboard!! HappyWave.gif You're gonna like it here.

I don't think you should concern yourself with how they are classified in a catalog. If it's the right size, action etc.. I don't see how it would make any difference what it's classification is. Even if it isn't exactly the right size right off the bat you lop a couple of inches off the tip or butt and, voila.

I built a Lamiglas GSH901MT which is classified as a Salmon/Steelhead blank. Since I'm from New Jersey I'll use it for back bay and river schoolie stripers and weakfish. It's perfect for throwing throwing rubber baits up to about an ounce.

It's like how I used to wonder why some are classified as "casting" and "spinning" A blank is a blank. It's the components you put on the blank which make it a caster or a spinner.

BTW, this past summer I was within a stones throw of where you did your basic training. I put a hurtin on a bunch puppy reds (all released except one...yummywink.gif) and even hooked a couple of ladyfish and a Jack Crevalle. smile.gif that was fun!!

Anyway, it's good to have you with us and SEMPER FI. smile.gif

Mike W.

Both Ditch and MNW are right on. I focus on the lure weight and action of the blank when selecting a blank for a particular application.

As an example, I like to cast 1-2 ounce plugs from a boat for stripers and blues. One of my favorite blanks for this application is a freshwater bass flipping stick. I tried one years ago with the telescoping butt, epoxied the butt in place and covered it with cork grips and a reelseat. It is still my "go to" blank when plug casting in the Fall in Montauk.

One of the first lessons I learned in rod building is to experiment and think "out of the box".

There are many crossover rod blanks models. Some of the most multi purpose rod blanks would be the "Popping", as well as the "Salmon/Steelhead" and "Hot Shot" actions.

Sometimes when a rod blank is designed for a specific purpose, it is found later to be the best thing since sliced bread for a totally different application or technique.

I agree with the suggestion of the others that the tapers, actions, and specifications are of the utmost importance in designing the perfect rod for particular application. This is why the knowledge and experience of the local custom rod builder is so vital.

Sites like this allow for these types of questions, and for the regional and very gifted rod builders to share their knowledge with others. Most of this kind of stuff can't be found in a book, but learned though experience.

Thanks guys for sharing!!