Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbelow

Another Blank Question ?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am new here. Have yet to build my 1st rod. Still doing research on the subject and waiting for my book and video to arrive from MUD HOLE. Rod building looks great so-far!

Only problem is the overwhelming choise of rod blanks!

Need help please (anyone)?

Looking for suggestions for a 7ft. blank to build an all purpose bay and offshore rod (if such a rod can be made ?). It will be used to jig for southern flounders and as a popping rod for spotted weak fish in the shallow bays of the upper Texas coast where I live.

Offshore the primary gamefish are king mackerel, cobia, and jackfish. 3/8 oz. or heavier pluggs are use for these.

Reel of choise is a Garcia 6500 spooled with 14 to 20 lb mono.

What brands and model rod blanks would come closest to meeting this criterion ?

THANKS

------------------

The two rod applications are too disparate to do both well. The bay rod needs to be able to cast light lures and with some suppleness to not tear the hooks on flounder and seatrout. Some excellent blanks for this application are the Lami graphite MB843 and the GLB841L and the Seeekr CLB 702.

For the offshore stuff you need alot more butt power to control and lift these fish. The Lami GLB841M or the CLB841M or the Seeker

CLB708 (A favorite for smoker king mackeral)

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 03-03-2002).]

Welcome,

I think you'll find this is the best site for information on rod building on the net. Al is a wealth of knowledge and always a great help, a true gentleman. My 2 cents STAY AWAY from mudhole tackle. I have never been satisfied with their service. Their stock is no where near what they have in the catolog. Always out of stock or another excuse. And as for the show just check the posts. All of this is IMHO. Again WELCOME.

------------------

<*{{{{{{-<

FISHLANDERS VP