Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sea Dangles

Ron Arra vs. Lamiglas

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

afriend of mine recently went to buy a ron arra 10' pole, the 1204 at my urging. The salesman at the store told him that this was essentially a waste of money because an arra is the same as a lamiglas only difference being that it is endorsed by ron. Is this true, what are the differences? The salesman sold him a 1207.Ilove the arra sticks!

The Arra series are completely different blanks from the standard Lami graphite surf rods.

The equivalent rated blank in the Arra series have different tapers and are made from a different graphite material than the regular Lami graphite blanks.

GSB 120 1L 10' 1 .775 10 8 30 2-6 200.00

XRA120 4 10' 1 .760 9 6-1/2 12-20 7/8-2 1/2 220.00

The above specs show the difference. The only thing the two blanks have in common is the length and the fact they're one piece blanks.

The Arra has a thinner butt diameter (.760" as compared to .775") a smaller tip (size 9 as opposed to size 10) weighs 6-1/2 oz as compared to 8 oz, is rated for 12-20# line as opposed to being rated to 30, and is rated for 7/8 to 2-1/2 oz casting weights rater than 2-6 oz. Suggested retail is only $20 more for a lighter, crisper, more responsive rod. And one that's easier to load and cast (and I know cuz I have both).

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 02-03-2003).]

Thanks for the informative responses,but when you talk about the ratings of the the GSB1201 it's misleading because my friend said he was told that he was buying a lami 1207 is there such a blank and what are the ratings?

There is no such thing as a Lami 1207. Never was, either.

The people who make 1207 blanks are Batson/Rainshadow, Pacific Bay/Sabre, and All Star. Of those, the most expensive is the All Star at about $115, which is almost $100 less than a GSB Lami. If the builder told him that it was a 1207 Lami, he lied and likely gouged him on the price cwm23.gif

Hey Sea Dangles,

Thanks for looking Into that for me,that Is

very disappointing, I'm surprised a shop with

that kind REP would do that.I took a copy of

all the info,and will be heading to the shop

this week. Thanks again to every one that helped.