Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarkL

Guide frames

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I building a Batson 1087 with 40 double,30,25,16,12 & a 12 tip all SIC's. I'm going to put a smaller frame reel on it about an Ahab 8A or Nautil 6500 size. The focus is the lighter side. I'm considering Fuji High Frames: HVSG40HH then YSG's or All Purpose: SVSG40 then LVSG's.

Can someone tell me why they would use high frame guides on this setup. Seems like there is a few here who feel these serve the surfcaster better. I built another 9'er with BMNAG Alconites (similar to the NSG's) and it casts great.

Thanks! Merry Christmas smile.gif

Fisheb00 just built a 1081L with YSG

30,25,20,16,12,12LVSG with an MNST12 tip....nice light setup with braid.

Single foot setups are much lighter then the heavy 40HH double foot ones and unless you really need the added durability of the double foots in my opinion single foot is the way to go with braids.

KenM

Mark,

I think what you have is fine. I don't go to the 40HH until I'm making a 10' with a larger class reel. You can go with single foots if you want to get lighter, but you'll lose durability. Single foots are fine to fish with, but transportation usually is the culprit in knocking them out of line. I've gone with combos on a 9'. Like double foot 40,30,25 then single foot(normal height) 20,16.

The 1081L Ken is talking about is a real sweety pie rod. The guides are YSG 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, LVSG 12 with a MNST12 tip. I think single foot guides really compliment the newer graphite rods. Last year I built an xra1204 with all single foot guides and it's held up without any real problems. There is some minor cracking around 2 of the guide feet but nothing I am concerned about. I double overwarp all my guides and treat my equipment well. But like OZ said durability comes into play if you are not careful. Bruce Fisher

Thanks guys. I'm pretty good to my stuff so i think the single foots will survive. Glad to know the high frames aren't necessary. Love the 1081L, thats what i put the Alconite BMNAG's on. Wish i went with single foots but the bugger casts wonderfully anyway. Don't know why i feel i need a 1087 too redface.gif i'm addicted redface.gif

Cheers

I believe a locking wrap is formed by extending your guide wrap five or six wraps beyond the foot and then tying it off. I could be wrong though.

I've used single foots on a rebuilt 8.5 foot st. croix and I love it. They do tweak easily though--I wouldn't want this rod dropped on the ditch rocks.

I used this rod down in north carolina the past two summers. I was amazed at how much better it performed with quality guides on it. It'll launch a 3/4 kastmaster or similiar tin!

Fuji doesn't make the SiC rings larger than 30 right? I've never seen them in the catalogs.

Tightlines,

Stroth

Fuji doesn't make the SiC rings larger than 30 right? I've never seen them in the catalogs.

Actually, Fuji offers size 40 SIC guides in quite a few different series / frame styles.

I think Stroth was refering to single foots only going to 30, which is correct. Given the extra height on a high frame single foot a 30 could be used to replace a regular double foot 40.

Mark, a locking wrap is done on single foots to prevent pull out from under the wrap. One method is the Forhan wrap (developed by Rich Forhan). As you come to the top of the guide foot put your thread under the guide leg, around the guide, then around the blank. Reapeat twice more, then a couple of wraps around the rod. Another method is to put a few wraps around the rod past the guide leg. That works too, though maybe not as thorough.