Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobNoFish

Rod For a SQUIDDER

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

Let me throw this out there...

I've been told on another forum on this board, that spinning is for weenies...

Just kidding!!

Really what size and flavor rod should I build for a PENN 140 SQUIDDER?

Open for suggestions!!

Thanks,

BobNoFish

Bob,

I am assuming it will be a surf or jetty stick. The squidder was my first plugging reel at Montauk forty years ago. I casted from a boat with a nine foot Lami blank that was cut down from an 1165.

Tell me something about how and where you plan to use it, the line (spectra or mono) and your budget for the rod. Then I can get more specific as to the blank.

Al

Wow...

That was fast. Thanks.

I would most likely use it to toss bait, and definitely from the beach; in New Jersey and on Cape Cod.

That way I won't have to try to cast it that often. The Bastage used to attempt to eat my thumb with it's vicious backlashes.

As to whether braid or mono... whichever is most friendly...they were built in the days of Dacron/linen, yes?

Budget, I don't want to invest a lot $$, in case the vile Thing tries to kill me again!

As always thanks,

BobNoFish

Bob,

If you think there might be a chance you will not stick with it then go for a production rod from Lami or an less costly custom rod. Some good blanks to consider are the following:

Lami Eglass SB1203M

Allstar/Breakaway 1208

I am sure others on the board can make some recommendations. A rod from either of these blanks wrapped with Fuji Hardaloy guides would probably be in the $250-$275 range.

The cost of an equivalent Lami production rod would probably be the same.

Al

Professa,

1960 Montauk, Johnny Kronuch Sr. built me a cut down 1165 for plugging from a boat. I had a Penn Squidder with 50 lb dacron line and an Atom 40 swimming plug that I eelskinned. I worked under "The Guns" and around the southside.

When the bass finally "gave up the ghost" in the late 1970's I was already well into rod building and switched over to light graphite sticks. I built John DeMaio his first graphite bucktailing rod in 1975 that was a lami GLB901M. The rest is history.

Al

Bob--I also like the Lami SB 120 3M. One further suggestion--since the Squidder comes with a rod clamp, have it built without a reel seat. That way, if the Squidder bites back once too often, you can just dump the casting guides on it and have it re-wrapped as a spinning rod. Once you have a seat epoxied in place, removing it can get a little tricky. It's not only the butt length, but the placement of the guides vis-a-vis the spline of the rod that gets affected by the placement of the seat.

If you go with the All-Star, get a seat put on it--that's a thin walled blank and I fear it could be very easy to crack by overtightening the rod clamp.