Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Neil

More ? about Lami GSH 901MT

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Greetings Al,Neil here.Would like to know what you feel the max amount of drag that can be applied to subject blank assuming that it is properly guided for best load distribution?

I've only built the one,in spinning form,for my son and am in-progress on a spiral conv for myself.So my experience is limited with this particular blank.

On my son's rod I used the Concept System but used a guide combination a bit different:25mm Fuji Hi frame surf,16mm low,10mm YSG x 2 and then 8 & 7 fly guides to the # 7 ring SIC tip.Reel is an ABU 6 SS BB center drag,2spools;1 with Gamakatsu 12lb and one with 30lb PP.

Bloody rod will cast a 3/4oz SW Spook a LONG way,with mono or braid.Thanks in advance for the reply.Neil

Neil,

This is my "go to" rod fishing for albacore at Montauk. I am fishing with 20 lb Fireline and casting 1/2-3/4 ounce Yozuri metal lures with either a Calcutta 300CE or a Shimano Sustain 4000. I set my drag at 3-4 lbs and cup or thumb the spool for added drag.

If fishing mono you typically set the drag at 1/3 the breaking strength of the line. However, for this blank I would not go more than 4 lbs of drag since the rod is a real shock absorber.

I will be building four of these over the winter for friends who fished with my rod last fall.