Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandcrab

Are underwraps really needed?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Will start wrapping my first rod this weekend. Appreciate everyone's assistance in helping answer all my previous questions which really helped me make the "plunge" into rod building. I can see this as a lifelong hobby and I haven't even started yet! wink.gif

My rod will be a conventional 10'6" rod whose main purpose in life will be to sling metal in the 1/2-3 oz range to blues and striped bass (Spanish macs too if I can find them) in the Atlantic surf - mainly DE and the MD coast. I plan on using an ABU 6500 Sports Mag reel with mono (I may go to braid later on). As such, I still have a couple of questions concerning underwraps.

1. I am using Fuji SIC (NSG) guides throughout. Are underwraps really needed or can I wrap the guides directly to the rod using A thread?

2. If I decide to use underwraps, should I use A thread or go with C or D thread for overwraps?

Thanks again

Sandcrab

THis has been beat up here before, on a few occasions. TO summarize.

NO they are not needed, BUT - yo umust make sure to prep the guide feet properly. PArticualrly, the underside, making sure there are no sharp edges to "dig in" and possibly damage teh blank. This is more of a problem on lighter all graphite rods, where the walls aer very thin (GLX), and a small nick could be fatal.

If you go the underwrap route - putting a coat of finish on teh underwrap makes wrapping over it much easier. If you don't want to do that, millions of rods have been built with sie A thread for the underwrap, and C or D for teh overwrap, with no epoxy in teh under.

Personally - I recommend underwraps. I like how they look. On my lighter rods, where I probably might "need" an underwrap, I usually don't put them, so they are there pretty much for aesthetics, and not much else. For me, SW rods = underwrap, FW = no underwrap.

Thanks for the info. I was just concerning that the rod (with underwraps) would be less responsive with all that wrapping. Makes good sense that all SW rods should have underwraps.

Sandcrab

It actually doesn't make sense that all SW rods have underwraps. Think about it, the blanks are much thicker than a FW or fly rod, and thus would be able to withstand a little nick much better.

It's just when I think about what a SW rod "should" look like, they "should" have an underwrap.

As for the blank losing something because of the additional weight of an underwrap - maybe on a light FW blank, a fly rod, but for heavier SW rods I will go out on a limb and say it makes no noticeable difference whatsoever. Where's Oznavad?

Guide type and size, especially near the tip,as in larger than you really need, does way more to adversely affect the action than a proper underwrap. I think a saltwater rod looks "right" with underwraps, so I use them...A under, D or double wrap A over

biggrin.gif

"A" all the way and I even underwrap my strippers on fly rods eek.gif

Wait till T.K. finds out... I'm in for a lashing tongue.gif

Peel off all the underwraps on a tip section of a two piece surf rod, weigh it and see if it is heavier than the top guide.

I'd hazard a guess... NO!