Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishHawk II

Do you mask your wraps?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

When finishing your wraps do you use a mask to prevent the finsh for running over onto the blank? By a mask I mean wrapping masking tape next to the thread before you apply the finish.

FishHawk

Definitely not. Messy and makes it harder to get a nice even edge. Just turn the rod while holding your hand steady as you apply the epoxy. Rod is in vee blocks and hand is resting on a block of wood puttin' on the epoxy.

Steve

I do, and my edges are flawless, if I do say so myself wink.gif Makes for one less thing to worry about for me when I'm applying the finish coat and I really feel the extra step saves me time in the long run. Key to making it work well is high quality thin tape, just one layer of it - very firmly applied so there's no bleed-under - and feathering the finish at the tape rather than letting any significant thickness of the coating build up there. Works for me. Like a charm.

I do because I could never get a straight edge otherwise. I fold a bit of the tape back on itself so I have a tab to pull it off. If you wrap in the right direction you can just grab the tab and pull straight down and as the drying motor rotates the tape comes off cleanly. I've been using Aftcote lately so I don't need to hurry when removing the tape but you need to be quicker if you use a fast setting epoxy. It could get ugly if you remove the tape as the epoxy starts thickening.

I do. But rather than use masking tape I use electrical tape. I like the electrical tape better because the epoxy doesnt bleed throgh. I place a band of tape about an 1/8" off the base of the wrap. When I apply the epoxy I bring it out to just over the edge of the tape. I also do not spin my rods on a motor while putting on the epoxy. Once all the wraps are finished. I put the rod onto the drying motor. Once the rod is rotating I heat the wraps with a heat gun set on low until the epoxy is extremely thin and free flowing. At that point I remove the tape. I get a very straight and clean line. Some guys are able to do it with out the tape. I for one need the aid of the tape. Big Dave

I use multiple coats of finish. To keep the ends neat I squegee the finish back to the thread with paper towel whilr the rod is turning. Once satisfied I will brush out any footballs on the edge, then dip paper towel in denatured alcohol and clean the squegeed areas up.