Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sawzall

crooked blanks

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I went to buy a blank(GSB120 1L) from a local store, I'll leave out

names,And I was not pleased with the quality. The top 12 to 14 inches were

askew quite considerably. The guy working says that all the blanks are like that.(which they're not.I have a gsb1081L from the same place, perfect) I know that blanks are not going to be "true", but when I can see a bend like this (when I rolled it on the floor the gap was about two inches wide from one side to the other)I dont want the blank. so my question to is,

1.Is this common among lamiglas blanks(or all blanks for that matter)

2. Do you feel that this type of imperfection is important?

3. where do you recomend I go to purchase blanks.

[This message has been edited by linesides28 (edited 10-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by linesides28 (edited 10-15-2002).]

Crooked blanks are a common problem that rodbuilders deal with. Some blank manufacturers have tighter quality control procedures than others to deal more effectively with the problem.

In most instances a crooked blank will not effect the structural integrity of the blank. However, it can effect its casting performance.

All places selling blanks can receive crooked blanks from a manufacturer. Since I deal with distributors I do not get to pick the blanks for straightness. If I receive a crooked blank that is very badly bent than I return it. If you are buying the blank from a retail store than my advice would be to check it for straightness before you leave the shop.

Rick,

Once again I'm sorry for your disappointment in the quality of our product you saw in the shop. As I told you at the time of your first email it is very hard for me to tell the problem if there is one. My only input can come from the people at the shop. Per my phone conversation with the folks at the shop they didn't feel that the blank was a problem.

I'm also sorry that you feel the need to post this as you also later told me that they had satisfied your needs.

Todd Vivian

Lamiglas, Inc.

Hi Todd. I'm sorry if this posting sounds like I am bashing your company. Everyone knows Lamiglas is high end. I was simply looking for a reaction/response from people who know about these things, its something I have yet to encounter. Again I apoligize.

Rick,

Like I said, it's a common problem that all blank manufacturers and rodbuilders encounter and try to deal with. Lami is one of the better, if not the best, to deal with this issue.

Al