Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MNW

blank application

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Al,

I was at Bogans in NJ and got a good deal on a Lamiglas BT1083M. I didn't really think about what I was going to use it for and it just caught my eye. I want to take a couple of inches off the tip and maybe some off the butt too.

What sort of applications could this blank be used for? It's rated a 20-30 lbs and I found some threads here and on other sites about it being used as a bunker spoon troling rod. I also found that it is popular as a party boat rod.

Please help me plan this project. smile.gif

Mike W.

Mike,

I have used that blank alot over the years. It's an eglass blank with medium action and a great blank to use with braided line.

What do you think you want to build?

Let me know and I can help you plan it out.

Al

I guess I could trim it down to @ an 8'er and use it for a boat rod to cast a bit further than a 7' counterpart. Maybe even in a pinch I could use it for shore based tog rod to yank those white chins out of a jetty? Could I use it to live line baits from shore/boat?

Mike W.

[This message has been edited by MNW (edited 01-04-2003).]

Mike,

The BT1083M comes with a #8 tip. Here are some options to think about:

Trim tip to a #10 and then from the butt to your desired length. This make a great medium boat rod for chunking, live bait and inshore togging.

Trim the tip to a #12 and you have a good jigging rod and deepwater tog rod.

Full length it makes a great bunker spoon rod.

Trimmed from the butt and you have a great ocean fluking and sea bass rod fishing braided capable of sinkers up to 10 ounces.

Al

Mike,

The BT1083M comes with a #8 tip. Here are some options to think about:

Trim tip to a #10 and then from the butt to your desired length. This make a great medium boat rod for chunking, live bait and inshore togging.

Al

Al, I think given the type of fishing I'll more than likely do the most of, this will be the preferable set up. So i'll need a sic tip with #10 tube and 8 guides 20,16,12,12,10,10,10,8?? #22 trigger reel seat and a BRC20 butt cap. How's that sound.

Mike W.

Al,

Ok I trimmed the blank 6" off the top and 3" off the but. The total grip assembly is 29". Now the stripper guide goes @20" from the middle of the reel seat and the first guide from the tip is 4" from the tip. Is that right? Then 1/2-3/4 inch increments on down the blank, correct?

Mike W.