Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

Lamiglass Casting Blank for Speckled Trout

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Gentlemen.

I am planning to build a rod for casting 3/8-1/2 Oz lead heads and mirrolures in the surf for speckled trout and other smaller inshore species. Most of this casting will be from the beach, though I may occasionally take this rod out in a canoe to fish the Potomac.

I prefer casting reels over spinners even for the lighter stuff. Distance is important but I have to keep the rod weight and length down so that I can cast it hundreds of times in a session without wearing my arm out.

I am partial to lamiglas.

Casting technique with this rod will be split between single and double handed casting. (I don't need too long a handle though, just enough for my left hand to get a handhold.)

I think a 7 foot blank would best fit this bill, though I may build an eight footer later on.

So far, two blanks have been recommended to me.

The first is the lamiglas XS84M 7' rated for

3/8-1 OZ.

The second is the GFW841M also 7' and rated for 1/4-3/4 OZ.

How do these two blanks compare? Are there any other blanks that I should consider?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Al, thanks for all your help with the breakaway 11'9". It turned out beautifully.

Tom (aka Duckwump)

Tom,

I believe the tips on both the XS and GFW are slightly softer than those on Lamis casting blanks (XC or GW). For your intended purpose of throwing small jigs and mirrolures to soft lipped fish, those blanks should work fine as Al indicated. You might also consider some Loomis blanks, such as the SJ843 (spin jig) or the MB843 (mag bass). The SJ843 is a pretty versatile blank with plenty of backbone when you need it. The SCIII blanks from St. Croix are excellent as well, such as the 3S70MF and the 3C70MF (used in their Avid line of rods).

Good luck, Mark

I have a couple of suggestions to add to the mix: Loomis L822, L904, L905. I have the 844 and it makes a nice Weakfish rod, is rated 3/8 - 2 1/4 and is 7'. It has a moderate action, The bend reaching the half way point of the blank. The factory rod uses this blank for Spinning, but it makes a nice casting blank as well. The L904 has the same rating as the 844, but is 7'6 inches. The 905 is a bit beefier and is rated from 1/2-3oz. The 904 & 905 I have no experience with, but it has been recommeded to me for guys on the West Coast who use it for 15 lb test throwing swimbaits (Fishtraps) to Calico Bass. They make all three models in both GL2 and GL3 - I have the GL2.

I also have a nice Lami that handled a 5 1/2 pound Weakie pretty nicely: XC84MH coupled with a Calcutta 251 (or 250), 15lb Fireline is also nice setup. 7' 12-25lb, 3/8- 1 1/2 oz. This rod has a faster action than the Loomis and doubles as a nice bucktailing rod for Fluke (which I what I use it for, but would not hesitate to use it for the Weakies). The chestnut brown color of this blank scream for gold guides, gold seat, and matching brown wraps w/ gold trim (of course Calcutta Gold matches nicely wink.gif )

Billy

Nice color coordination, Billy.

I agree that the L904 might work well for throwing lighter stuff to trout. I have an L905 that doesn't load real well until you hit 3/4 oz. It's got plenty of beef to move a decent fish though. I also have a 3 piece L844 that also likes throwing 3/4 oz. and over. Perhaps an L842 or MB844 would fit the bill as well. Tim keeps mentioning the GP964. If 8' is too long, trim 3" from both the butt and tip.

Tim, what say you???

Tom, are you confused yet???

The lami GP844, which is a popping blank, is rated from 3/8-3/4 and is also something to consider.

The Loomis L904 and L905 are both sweet blanks but a little too heavy for this particular application.

Al

How about the SSP 845? It's S-Glass and should be a lot softer of an action than the others. The GP 963 or 964 with a few inches off the butt of the 964 or off the tip with the 963 would also be real nice. Mike

Thanks guys for all this information. I am thoroughly confused but grateful for the help. I've mainly built larger surf rods where there are fewer choices. I will take all of your advice into account. Thanks again, best regards.

Tom (aka Duckwump)