Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish13

Reel Seat?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Al, What is the proper way to determine where to mount a reel seat? Is there a general measurement or is it different for every rod and person?

Thanks for the help,

FISH13

Fish,

For boat rods the reelseat is typically 14-15 inches from the base of the seat to the end of the butt.

For surf conventional and spinning rods you are correct that the position of the seat is determined by the person's physical attributes. Casting ability and arm length need to be considered.

After building a number of these rods over the years I have determined that 90+ percent of the time the reelseat is positioned 23-26 inches from the base of the reelseat to the end of the butt.

Al

Thanks Al,

How do you come up with the 23-26" measurement? Is it arm length?

The reason I'm asking is I'm about to build a heaver out of a Lamiglass SB 160 4M blank. I have 1 that was custom built for my great uncle years ago, I just finished doing a refurbish job on it. New guides and wraps. I love the way it casts.

If you are happy with the way the rod casts, then measure the distance from the end of the butt to the bottom of the reel seat. What is that distance?

Al