Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

Rainshadow Blanks?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I noticed that Rainshadow makes blanks with model numbers similar to Breakaway (1387, etc.) and similar specs. How similar are these blanks in quality and performance? Rainshadow is obviously less expensive.

Some are very similar (1088 for example), others are apples and oranges. The All Star 1209 is one mother beast of a rod that'll snap a Rainshadow 1209 like a twig in a tug of war wink.gif You can throw 2 oz easily on a Rainshadow 1209, whereas the All Star starts loading at a good 5 oz.

The Rainshadow blanks most nearly compare to the original Sabres.

I bought a breakaway 2pc/1pc surf blank a while ago. It arrived in a plastic bag labelled Rainshadow. anybody knows what is the relationship between all star, breakaway, and rainshadow?

I would like to explain why, in my opinion, there are similarities in product lines from different manufacturers.

To begin with,the Rainshadow factory is located in Sequim, Washington. The General Manager (Don Mook)and I have worked together for many years in the product development of rod blanks, as well as components.

Don started at Lamiglas in the early to mid seventies. He and Gary Loomis decided to leave Lamiglas, and they started Loomis Composites Inc.

When Fenwick decided to get out of the rod blank business, Gary started G. Loomis. Don stayed on with LCI for some time, and then was acquired to set up a facility in Oklahoma.

We then decided to have Don build and manage our own rod blank facility in Longview, Washington when I was Sales Mgr and VP at Pacific Bay during my ten years there. When Chinese investors purchased Pac Bay in late 1997, they decided not to continue with the blank factory.

At that same time, All Star was in need of a design and factory GM. I contacted Don, and asked him to go to All Star. He was there for about four years.

I had left PB in February of 2000, and started the Rainshadow and Forecast product lines, along with some of my key personnel, as well as vendors.

Last year Don stated that he and his family wanted to move back to his home in the Northwest. We at Rainshadow made the choice to build and support a factory here in Sequim, next door to our rod blank and component distribution center. We required more control of our quality standards, delivery, product development, and most of all pricing.

Most of the key product development and manufacturing personnel in USA factories today have history with companies like Grizzly, Conolon, Roddy, Lamiglas, and Fenwick. Of course, many of these gentlemen are getting on in years, and we have some newer generation folks like Todd Vivian of Lamiglas, and Mike Thorson of St Croix, that are exceptional in their fields.

These are some of the reasons that you will find similarities and crossovers in actions, designs, specifications, numbering systems, and occasionally materials.

We are very fortunate in the USA to have the greatest choices in gifted manufacturers of quality rod blanks in the world, that are by the way, desired by rod builders worldwide.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I just wanted to maybe clear up some of the thinking that goes on.

My suggestion is to use reputable dealers and distributors as your rod building suppliers.

Again, this is just my experience and opinion.

Bob Batson

I'd just like to add my thoughts on Bob Batson/Rainshadow. I've built dozens of Rainshadows over the last couple of years and have been spreading the good word for a while. Bob is a big supporter of the custom rod builder, having played the role himself for number of years. When asked why he sells blanks for much less than he could charge for blanks of such quality, the answer is always the same, "to give custom builders some room to make a living building rods".

I'm very excited to watch the developments in store at Rainshadow this year. In addition to Bob bringing out some 11' one-piece surf rods, he has recently aquired the US factory of Penn/RodCo (Penn's rod business). Here's a quote from another board where Bob posted some of the exciting developments that will come out of this aquisition:

We did bring up all of the mandrels, prints, and blank patterns, to our Rainshadow Rod Blank manufacturing facility. We will be expanding our saltwater series to include many of the made in USA originals by Penn-Sabre, Garcia, private label, as well as resurrecting many of the popular Conolon actions of the past, Skipper Specials etc, in a variety of lengths actions, and powers.

Just wanted to thank Bob and let the rest of the readers here know what's in store at Rainshdow. thumbuprt.gif

I am just a relatively new amatuer rod builder but I had a great experience with the Rainshadow blanks.

I keep hoping that they will come out with a pendumlum caster.

Tom

I totally concur. How many blank builders do you know of who answer an e mail with a phone # and a time to call so that we can discuss the subject in more detail in order to help you find the"right blank". That's Bob Batson!!!!

I would also like to give cudos to All Star's Sharon and her quality of customer service. It is FAR superior to what thay had before she came into the picture.Great job Sharon. Neil

Bob B and Todd V are definite plusses to this board. From everything I have heard Sharon is also a welcome addition to us crazed rodbuilders.

Thanks to all three of you folks for your great insight and advise.

Bill

BM

I do not think you will snap a RS like you did those 1083's last year.................

All I will say is I told you so!!!!!!!

Good luck saturday

Todd,

We just nitwits come up with strange ideas for rods and you guys are the brains that tells us whether we can do it or not!!!

If it werent for you we would be using calcutta cane or hand grenades

i have been trying to find info on the rainshadow and the all star it appears i found the wright place. i just started building my own rods using space age adhesive lined heat shrink which is working very well. i want to build a new 9 ft pier rod and i am considering the 1088 or 1087 or other? i fish for king mac, tarpon, cobia. i want a rod that is glass and flexes the entire length of the rod, light weight and a good all purpose blank. so any advice what to select.

thanks doug