Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HookedUp

All Star Breakaway Rod

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience with this All Star Breakaway Rod...LDFC TP 150-2 H. It's 2 piece 12'6" Heavy Action casting rod. I was planning to use to fish bunker chunks. Any comments, good or bad?

personal opinion.. it is one of the farthest casting rods out there with 8+ oz and big bait... with less than that, it will wear you down. great spike rod or pier rod for me, kinda heavy to hold.. if you think you will want to use the rod for under 8 oz at all, i'd recommend something lighter...

again, great rod, but it is a beast!

I was actually going to get the blank custom wrapped. The guy I'm talking to about it said that one the great features about the rod is it can throw lots of weight, but that it also loads real nice with much less weight, like only 4 oz. I'm gathering from the above replies though, that this is not true? I need the rod to be able to throw 8-10 oz at the most plus bait, but more often than not it will be 4-6oz plus bait. So is this not the rod for me? Can anyone suggest a more suitable blank then? Thanks!

Dont forget the Rainshadow 1509, same blank configuration as the 1509 Breakaway, just ALOT lighter and much easier to throw. I had a 1509BA and hated it, however I also has a 1508BA and wish now I hadnt of sold it. The Rainshadow 1509 is next on my wish list.

Adam

I am not the strongest caster in the world, but probably at least average. I can hit 600'+ on a field with my tournament rod and a pendulum cast. There is no way on earth i would ever want to cast 4 or 5 oz with that rod... Again, i want to say it is a great rod, but not under 8 oz for me. You would be much happier, i think with a lami GSB150-2 for 6-8

I own a 1509 and I think it will throw down to 6 and bait very well. I have casted a 4 oz crippled herring with it and it casts very, very far, though it is not fully loading the blank.

I just bought a Rainshadow 1509 blank smile.gif and am very much looking foward to comparing that with the Allstar.

Another rod to consider is the Allstar 1389. At 11 and 1/2 feet, it is very light and powerful. Big Dave will know alot about it. Good luck.

Tom

I am under the impression (actually directly stated by those who should know) that the Rainshadows are the same as the Allstars (1508,1509) and the 1502 is a Lami. I know that Allstar has changed the blank in its lifetime, but I'd like to hear from a rod builder if these two are not the same.

Same question as Oz's for me too . . .

I bought the Cascade SU1502F; my understanding was that it is the blank the Breakaway 4-12oz, 12'-06" TP 150-2 H is made from.

Is this correct?

Allstar makes the blanks for breakaway ....

cascades , rainshadows are copies .

the guy who designed / enginered the blanks for allstar , left allstar & went to cascade .

derf

I have a 1508 and love it. The rod loads very easily with 5 to 6 oz. and bait, 8nbait no problem. I have a friend who I consider one the best casters on the OBX, he can load a rod, and if the conditions warrant it he will use 10 oz. & bait all day long. Good luck.