Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandcrab

Finding the spine on a Allstar 1265/2 blank

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Lots of posts on finding the spine so I don't think I will have a problem with finding it when my new blank comes in...however, it is a two piece rod...My question is I guess that "finding the spine" is only done on the top part of the rod blank and not the lower blank half - Correct?

I have seen various posts on where to put the reel (ABU 6500 CS Mag tweaked out) seat in relation to the spine on a conventional blank - some say 0 degrees some say 180 degrees - lots of conflicting opinions. I will be using the rod for slinging metal long distances for schooling stripers and blues and was reading Al's article advising that the spine should be at the bottom of the rod whether spinning or conventional -

"Therefore, to achieve maximum efficiency and power in your cast the spine should be on the bottom of the rod regardless if it's set up for spinning or conventional...

For Conventional Surf, the spine is on the 180 degree axis and the reel seat and guides are on the 0 degree axis."

For maximum casting distance for this conventional blank, is this the way it is done?

You can attempt to find a spine in the butt section too and align the two. If you can't find the spine in the butt section , don't worry about it.

For a spinner , I think you can freely go 0 or 180 degrees with the spine if you want to optimize casting but for a conventional , I recommend you put the reel and the guides on the spine. This is not the optimum for casting but it is the optimum to prevent twisting while a fish is on.