Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zimmy

lotsa questions

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Al,

I have a gsb1081m spinner that took quite a beating this year. Started with a bump off of a tackle box onto the edge of the canal bike path. Fell about eight inches onto the tip (hit on the first/second guide I think). Tip broke off 5 inches on next cast. Temporarily clean trimmed and put a new tip on.

Also lost ring on second guide (which is now 1st guide of 5).

Also has guide foot cracks and an unrelated gouge in the butt rap finish.

The blank was stiff to begin with and now is pretty hard to load. I feel the wraps are overly long and the epoxy too thick. Originally finished with 1 heavy coat of flex coat (I've been advised against this since...)

So what I am considering:

1. Remove all guides, possibly reduce the # of guides to 4 and re-wrap with shorter wraps (longest wrap currently extends a little more than an inch from the guide foot). I saw you previously suggested 4 guides on this blank 40hh 30hh 25 20.

The original guides were 40hh 30hh 25 20 16(broken) 12(lost in canal). Should I eliminate or replace the 16?

Will shorter wraps and maybe less guides noticeably reduce stiffness (along with thinner coats of finish)? Even a little more flex would be nice...

2. Sand and refinish butt wrap (extends all the way to stripping guide)

What grit paper do you suggest? Refinshing technique?

Thanks,

Owen

[This message has been edited by zimmy (edited 11-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by zimmy (edited 11-19-2002).]

Zimmy,

Reducing the number of guides to four and shortening the wraps with help. However, you have lost the low end of your lure weight casting range due to the broken tip.

40HH,30H,25H,20M plus tip.

Sand down the butt wrap with 600 grit paper using it dry and then wet. Finish it off with a fine finish pad then clean up with iso alcohol.

Good Luck,

Al

Al