Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ipscmaster

Spiral wrapped casting rod ???

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have read about a spiral wrapped casting rod, but I have never seen one. Is this something new, or have I been in the dark. It seems to me , without ever having seen one, that it would require many more guides and would hurt casting distance. I can certainly see that it would be a much more stable rod, but I have never had any trouble with a rod wanting to flip over when fighting a fish. Anyone tell me where I can see a picture of one ? What are the pro's and con's ?

Thanks,

You've been in the dark!

You can set one up with only one extra small (bumper)guide.

Mark all guides as normal, Place butt guide on top

and all others to the 180 degree axis.

Then put the one small bumper guide exactly half way between the butt guide and the next one, on the 90 degree axis.(place it on the side with the reel handle) Casts just as far and causes no problems.

The spiral wrap was patented around 1908. It is absolutly the best way to wrap a conventional rod. There are many ways to get to the guides on the bottom of the rod, some take forever to get there and gradually spiral the line to the bottom by using several guides and spreading the spiral halfway up the rod, I have built many of these rods, have seen hundreds, if not thousands, that were built by other rod builders and most that sell rods and get repeat customers using the spiral wrap use one guide to get to the 180 deg. axis. Some go half way between the guides as mentioned above, others place the transition guide 4" in front of the rear stripping guide and place it at 120 deg.. All methods work but using one transition guide seems to work best and is also the easiest way to do it. Try it, once you try it, you will build all of your conventional rods this way.

One minor problem - don't loan your rod to a buddy, he may bring your rod back to you with the frames of the guides bent telling you he tried his best to straighten out the guides but they just wouldn't bend all of the way!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't matter how you spline it. The guides will pull it straight. Guide placement of the 180 guides is also not that critical. I have spiral rods where the guides look like they were placed by a blind man, they look wrong if you peer down the blank, but they work fine. I have a few rods that I love where I have taped the guides on in less than exact positions determined by my mood that day, and some are great rods. I am afraid to F with the placement or the tape, because I like them so much. And they work, without the line hitting the blank, without the rod breaking, mostly because spiral wrap manages the energies in the rod even if you screw up guide placement.

Consider that you may one day rewrap the guides as a conventional setup and let that determine your spine if you have to pick one way.

The butt guide doesn't have to be straight, it can already start spiraling over. That makes it easy to use only one transition guide so long as the transition guide is on thepart of the butt that does not bend.

A spiral rod normally has a couple extra guides to wrap. Which is more work for the wrapper. It also limits the ways that you can use the rod (with a sidewinder reel, with the Jigmaster hanging upside down) that are pretty standard in some circles.

Bear with me if it sounds dumb but how does this affect line on a reel?

Most of the blanks I would wrap this for have levelwind, wondering if the fact that the wrap leans to one side will affect he lay of line on the reel.

Will it be level?

Am I jus trippin?

The first rod I built from scratch this spring was a spiral wrap or also called a Robert's wrap.

I have not noticed much difference in the casting distance. I only used 1 transition guide after the butt guide and I set it just past 90 degrees and so far it has been a great rod for fluke and I have caught stripers to 15 lbs without a problem, I put a Shimano TRN 100 with 30 ld Spiderwire Stealth on it.

f479dff2.jpg

Spiral guide placement is physically the best guide placement for casting rods to minimize stress to the line and rod blank and to maximize sensitivity.

It eliminates twisting of the rod under load because the guides are on the underside of the blank.

It eliminates side-to-side stress on the guides that occurs with traditional casting rod guide placement..

It can allow fewer, smaller, and lower frame guides in the tip section. This results in greater sensitivity and a crisp feel.

Notice in this photo how the guides are placed such that, when the rod is stressed, the line only contacts the base or top of the guide ring.

spiral.gif

I have a loomis 1324 blank with fuji titanium guides. I love it. Fish love it too biggrin.gifheart.gif