Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike D

Color Preserver

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Just applied some color preserver yesterday to some blue guide wraps on my first rod. Rather than "preserve" the color they now look darker than the were originally. What did I do wrong?

I did have silver underwraps which already had a coat of color preserver and flex coat. Did the flex coat on the underwraps react with the preserver?

Nylon will get darker with the use of CP.It's one of those things nobody mentions, till you see it for yourself.Continue on course and you will be pleased with the results.Most colors,Nylon, will get darker with CP. Now you know that the true color is in the "wet look".

Hey Brian, nice to hear from you. Thought I did something wrong because my underwraps were metalic and didn't darken with the CP so I was surprised when that happened with the blue nylon. How's you rod going? Are you finished?

Thats an important observation as well - I thought that NCP thread stayed true to its color, but it doesn't. I used some charcoal NCP for underwraps which, once epoxied, came out almost purple. Looks cool, but not what I was expecting. How do the madiera polyneons respond to epoxy?

Hey Brian, nice to hear from you. Thought I did something wrong because my underwraps were metalic and didn't darken with the CP so I was surprised when that happened with the blue nylon. How's you rod going? Are you finished?

Thought I was finished but I screwed up the second coat of finish and have to sand it down tonight and reapply.

I'm not going into this too far.

Polyneons stay close to the color on the spool, but not 100%.

The color underneath the thread plays an important role REGARDLESS of CP or no CP, or what thread you use. Simple test - paint a section of blank white. WRap White NCp over it, put finish. You'll see a huge difference.

dark Blue and dark green look great on a spool but darken a lot when coated. One trick is to go to the next lighter shade down. That still darkens but darkens to the color you want in stead of to almost black like if you use the darkest shade to start with.