Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
THEKID

All around great boat rod blank?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm primarily a surfcaster, but my pals are trying to convince me to join them this season on their boat. They mainly target big blues, bonito, false albies, but they do encounter their fair share of football tuna from time to time.

I'm thinking of building a boat rod for this type of action, but I'm not sure what to do. Should I build a spinner? A conventional stick?

Of course, I'm leaning towards the spinner, but then again, I may be way off.

Please suggest a good rod blank for the fishing I'm hoping to do as I acquire my sea legs. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

KID

Kid,

You can use a spinner for bonito, blues and albacore. However, when it comes to school tuna without question a conventional is the way to go.

For the spinner I would go with a Lami composite GFC841M.

Al

On a private boat you can use light tackle. A conventional is easier to use when working a jig or bait. Casting and sensitivity aren't that critical for those species. Fighting ability, durability and weight (assume that you are going to match it with a fairly light reel) are. Anything rated for a 12-30 or a 15-40 range should be fine. I'd used a Calstar 700L, but that's just one of a hundred blanks that would work. The one time that a spinner might help is if you want to cast a really small bait, like a single unweighted spearing or a 1/4 oz bucktail, to spooky fish.

[This message has been edited by Triet (edited 04-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Triet (edited 04-24-2001).]

AL:

I've checked out that blank, and I think I'm going to build the GFC841M. Can you give me some direction in terms of guide choice, placement, etc?

Thanks,

KID

Pardon me Todd.

Its a GFC84M composite blank, 12-25#

The GLB841M is also a great blank. However, if you plan on using braid then I would go with the composite.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 04-24-2001).]

kid,

how about getting a rod for that VS 400, the big game spinner.. LOL... you could also use it in the surf with a lami gsb 240 1m (20 footer), I hear it cast like 1/4 mile (literally)...

enough non-sense...Im gonna agree with Al with the lami. but, I have a question too, I hear great things about the calstar blanks.. if you wanted to match a spinner to that blank, what would you use... figure, popping for blues, albies, bonito and the school tuna... you think a penn 6500?? stradic 6000... vs 250??? how can we match this up???

BC