Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishing bum wannabe

Batson 1208 and Pencil Poppers

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I am planning on putting together a 1208 Rainshadow with a conventional reel (ABU 7000) over the winter. This would be an all purpose rod that would need to do 2-3+oz Jigs and 2-3oz Polaris and Pencil Poppers in the Cape Cod Canal. Any thoughts or experience with this blank?

What constitutes a Pencil Popper rod? Does Batson or any other manufacturer with similar blank prices make a 10' blank for 2-3 oz pencil poppers?

Thank you for your help.

------------------

fishing bum wannabe

In my very thin book, a pencil poppin' stick is "parabolic" or slow in action to allow you to really work the popper easily. Spinning is definitely way easier than conventional gear for pencils.

An ideal jig stick IMHO, would be the opposite.

Just my $.02

gad

Gad's right. The 1088 is a super all around blank that will handle anything you want, but not agreat PP rod. I would take a Lami GSB1201L and trim it back from the butt to 9 or 9 1/2 ft. This should give you the more moderate action you need for a PP blank.

Actually, the SB 136 2F is even better than the 2M. Assuming Lamiglas still makes it.

In the Canal, you don't really need a rod that'll whip back and forth from butt to tip for fishing pencil poppers. The current gives a lot of movement to a plug, and all you really have to do is "noodle" the tip a little to give some side to side movement. A Baston 1208 does fine---so does an All Star 1208. Not too much more and a slightly more parabolic rod.

Ditch

I have the RS1208 tied up conventional. I thought the tip was just a little to fast to get the right action for me. It worked great for gibbs swimmers and sluggos but I did not like the way it worked the PP. Maybe its just me!biggrin.gif

have agreat weekend!

Billy

I just put together the same combo, the 1208 RS conventional and tried it with an abu 7000 and a squidder. It was intended for jigs and eels but for the heck of it I tried it with an assortment of hardware. Big polaris worked great.

Now I just LOVE pencil poppers and I can work a pencil just fine with anything from a GSB 1321 to an S glas 963m. (All spin gear) I couldn't get it to go with the RS1208 conventional. Of course having to switch hands didn't help but it also seemed like the tip was a bit too stiff/fast.

As Ditch points out you will always be fishing current in the canal so keeping slack out of the line is much less of a challenge under those specific conditions. You may be able to do it. I tried it on a narrow stretch of bay aproaching a bridge where the current conditions were somewhat similar to the canal (I only fished there a couple of times the canal that is) and working the pencil was very difficult for me.

I'm very happy with the rod just don't think it will make you happy as a conventional pencil popper.

How many folks out there can work a pencil popper with a conventional??

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve M (edited 11-08-2002).]

Steve

Hi, I can and with a penn squidder and I can cheat and Use one of those Abu's I got tricked out.

The rod I like to use ends up being something like this...

I take a 136 3m or a 2F and cut the tip down to a size #14 I think I wanna say #16 on the Tip, then I cut down the Butt and the rods no matter what the blank is all seem to end up around 9'8" to 9'10" depending on Guide placement and alittle Butt triming.

reel is at a arms lenth.

I just put together the same combo, the 1208 RS conventional and tried it with an abu 7000 and a squidder. It was intended for jigs and eels but for the heck of it I tried it with an assortment of hardware. Big polaris worked great.

Now I just LOVE pencil poppers and I can work a pencil just fine with anything from a GSB 1321 to an S glas 963m. (All spin gear) I couldn't get it to go with the RS1208 conventional. Of course having to switch hands didn't help but it also seemed like the tip was a bit too stiff/fast.

As Ditch points out you will always be fishing current in the canal so keeping slack out of the line is much less of a challenge under those specific conditions. You may be able to do it. I tried it on a narrow stretch of bay aproaching a bridge where the current conditions were somewhat similar to the canal (I only fished there a couple of times the canal that is) and working the pencil was very difficult for me.

I'm very happy with the rod just don't think it will make you happy as a conventional pencil popper.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve M (edited 11-08-2002).]

Thanks for the reply BM and scoop on the pencil popper rod. Right rod will no doubt help (1208 isn't it)but....pencil poppin with a squidder. Right hand crankin, left hand workin the rod and layin the line down at the same time. Ya gotta be goood.

Steve