Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Rod Review

Rate this topic

1 post in this topic

A couple of years ago I asked Al to build a spinning rod for 1/2 - 1 oz. for small leadheads and for small minnow plugs fished with a teaser. I don't know the blank he used. It's a two piece steelhead blank with hardloy guides. (I can't see any useful gain in light tackle for pricier materials. A SiC tip on a conventional rod, maybe, but even that verges on the superperfluous.) Anyway, the sweet spot is a bit really at 1/2 oz., I'd say, but 3/4 oz is fine and a one ounce plug is fine too, though a one ounce tin totally maxes out the blank. I was wading north of the OBI today. The cloud cover we'd had had earlier disappeared while I was driving there (drat), no doubt the barometer went up sharply, and the SW wind accelerated a lot. No fish, no surprise - the tide was top of the incoming, not my preferred. The funny part was the reaction of the neighbors to the casting. I had to stop for six or eight other people to try the rod. Al, I gave away six of your cards. Low test braid and two feet of fluoro on a Daiwa SS 2600.