Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Broadbill

Which Penn spinner for an Arra 1084?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

This isn't strictly a rod-building question, but the signal to noise ratio is higher in this forum and I figured I might dodge some van Staal static I'd get if I asked on the main board. wink.gif

Earlier this summer, I bought a factory-wrapped 1-piece Arra 1084 on the SOL buy/sell forum (Thanks, Tim and CrashfromAmesbury). I'm about to head out for a two-week stretch of full-time fishing. I don't want to buy a new reel for the 1084 this year. I want to match it to one of the Penn reels I already own. I've got 704's with and without bails that I fish on old honey Lamis. I've got 6500s and 5500s I fish on Loomis graphite. And I've got one nice old metal body 750 that came with the new Arra rod. I'm going to be fishing mostly big water and open beaches. I'm going to be throwing wood along with some Hopkins and Deadly Dicks and the plastic Roberts and Atoms for blues. And I'm an old-fashioned pink Ande mono kind of guy.

The 5500 (don't lets get started on anti-reverse) is too light and doesn't balance. But the other three--704/6500/750--all seem like contenders. Which would any of you use and why? Thanks in advance.

I agree, the 5500 for that is the best choice. I personally would use a VS150, but if I had to go with Penn, Id use 710. 704, IMO is too big for that rod... hence the 5500 theory...

BC

560 Slammer. I have mine on an All Star 1088 (similar to the 1084 Arra) and it's a perfect match.

The Slammers don't have a real track record for durability yet, but most reports are generally icon14.gif

Hmmm. . . looks like I've got to do some trialing on the water. Ditch, I'm up to my axles in working reels and want to avoid new acquisitions this fall. I've handled the Slammer and I agree with you. It's top of my list for the spring, but for this year's surfari, I want to use what's already in hand. Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses. Keep 'em coming. Much obliged.

Broadbill

Broadbill,I have a VS 200 on my one piece XSRA 1084 and employ 30lb Powerpro...The casting performance is excellent and can handle any size fish.If I was going with a Penn then my choice would be a 6500ss with the same line choice.