Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Wrapping a 10#...2 quick questions

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Going to be going with Fuji SiC guides (the layout already preformed in my mind wink.gif ). I have two questions I hope you guys can answer for me:

1. What is the correct tip top guide (model #)? I only ask b/c the searches I did on SOL keep mentioning a MST10 #10 ring, though I can't find it listed from the online sources I have been purchasing from.

2. I've covered the debate on whether or not to underwrap spin/conventional rods before...do you guys approach flyrod building any different? Put them on? Leave them off? I'm thinking of going without, but would like the input of those who recently have built some flyrods.

Thanks!

I underwrap my double footed guides. I like the look and the "extra weight" is really not a problem. The single foots need not be underwrapped.

As for the top?

You can either go with a pear top (regular metal guide) an LST (Fuji ultra light top in Sic) or wrap on one of the single foot guides (Fuji LSG) as your top guide. Any of these options will work, but my preference goes to the LSG and next, the pear top.

MNST with a 10 tube????

Are we goint to stuff the tube with a burlap sack to take up the extra space in there? biggrin.gif

That tube is way to big. Go with a pear top or wrap an LSG on there and you have your #10 ring. It's light (really light) and will work great. If you ever damage it, it is very simple to slice it off and wrap a fresh one on there.

Gad, Dont worry about the ceramics... They are being paired with a DPS-16 biggrin.gif

Go with a pear top or wrap an LSG on there and you have your #10 ring.

CD-

I was hoping you'd chyme in wink.gif What, dare I ask, is a "pear top"? And if I understood correctly, I could also simply wrap a LSG10 at the very tip? Hmm...the wonders never cease. rolleyes.gifredface.gif

PS. No Fuji seat on this puppy...I think I'm going with a Struble (sp?).

I wouldn't wrap a guide on teh tip. I would think one casting folly and the guide would get ripped off the end of the blank. Also, wouldn't there be a little edge line could wrap around and tangle up? And, isnt' wrapping on the tip of a teeny rod one of the worst procedures in rodbuilding?

Billy,

It's actually quite common to wrap one of those tiny guides on the tip and they dont get ripped off onless you get tip wrapped by your backing, which causes problems with standard tops too. We lost a marlin a few years back to this problem. The pear top is the standard metal top that you see in a fly rod guide set. They make big ones for heavier rods and they come in small tube sizes. The shape of the ring is kinda pear shaped! That's usually all I use and when they get grooved, you pop it off and glue on a fresh one. I use a high temperature hot melt glue for this... Melt temp is about 275 F so it stays put even in the hot sun.

Billy, as for wrapping on a tiny rod tip being a terribly fussy procedure? I can still see up close tongue.gif Your punishment is to do a maltese cross, closed and with six centers on the tip of my next fly rod... It's a #2 weight biggrin.gif

Your punishment is to do a maltese cross, closed and with six centers on the tip of my next fly rod... It's a #2 weight

THat'll be easy, all it will take is 10 threads and it's close.