Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slamdance

chipped guide

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I just noticed my favorite bonito rod (Loomis PR904-2S) has a chip in the ceramic (I assume) ring inside the top guide. This is causing severe line fray and needs to be repaired before I can use the rod again. Where can I find a replacement guide and can you talk me through what I should do? It seems like it should be easier (and more importantly quicker)for me to fix this myself, ratehr than ship it off and wait.

How would I best take the old guide off? I was thinking about using a dremel to sand off the epoxy and them cutting the wraps with an X-Acto knife, but I really don't have a clue.

slamdance, no dremel's or x-acto needed.

This is a real easy repair.

It should only require the heat from a candle or a lighter and some ferrule cement and the new guide. If you apply heat to the old tip top it will melt the glue and be easy to remove. Clean the blank up after the tip top is removed.

To put the new one on just reverse the process and heat up some ferrule cement and apply to the tip of the rod, then slip the new top on while the glue is still hot.

Line it up, let it cool and your good to go.

Most decent shops will do this while you wait.

Slam,

To replace a guide, gently warm the guide finish with a hair dryer for 30 seconds and carefully cut the threads on top of the guide foot. Then carefully peel away the thread wraps.

Then carefully scrape away any residual epoxy finish and smooth the area with 400 grit paper. Clean the area thoroughly with alcohol and paper towels.

To properly install the new guide please refer to my 4 part article on basic rodbuilding in the article section on this site.

Al

Um,

what if you have a cracked ceramic guide in the middle of the rod? (No Al, definitely not one of yours, as they are all SiC...but a factory rod). That's not as straightforward, and I would screw it up.

Any >quick & dirty< repair ideas? Sometimes I resort to using black electrical tape to cover up the sharp crack. I dunno, that the best quick fix?

-FWW

Thanks for the tips everyone. Now, one more stupid question: How can I tell which size tip-top I need to replace the chipped one? I need to order the tip top from someplace since none of the shops are open at 2 a.m. and I'm usually on the water by 05:00 and off after they've closed.

p.s. I also had a customer lose the tip-top of another rod while fishing yesterday, so I need to replace that one too.