Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
birdwatcher

Help!?!?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have been given an alvey sidecast reel. Before I buy a rod to match with alvey's recommended guides,spacing etc. I thought I would try to use one of my old spinning rods. Some guides need replacing anyway. One spec. is to have a short butt section. Can I just cut the butt down and how would I finish said cut? Also how do you remove the old guides? Obviously I have NO idea what I'm doing so any help would be great. Thanks Birdwatcher

Can't help you on whether to cut it or not. But if you do cut it , this is how I do it.

I cut mine using a cut off wheel on a dremel. I turn the rod so i am cutting a little all around the diameter until its done. i don't try to cut all the way thru from one side.

When I strip guides I like to cut the thread near the guide foot with a razor then i spin the blank to peel everything off. I have seen guys who just cut all the way down the wrap with a razor and i've seen them remove a big chunk of rod that way too.

You are right on Saltheart... You have to be very careful with that razor! Since so many rods are finished in flex coat I always start by using a heat gun to soften the epoxy. Be careful with the heat as you do not want to harm the blank. I check the ammount of heat by touching the area with the back of a finger. If it's too hot to touch at all you wnet to far. Keep it cool enough to touch and you should be all set.

As for cutting the back off the rod? I feel it doesnt matter what reel you are using, you need enough length to control the rod on the cast. The shorter you can make the distance from butt end to reel seat and still have good control is a good way to maximize the loading of the rod and thus maximize the cast. My method is quite un-scientific as I just grab the blank and try many powerful casting strokes out in the yard. I see how close I can get my hands together and maintain total control over the weight I'm swinging. Once I find tha minimum length I add a bit of length to that to account for the extra swing weight of guides and a lure.

Rember that once you let go of the cast the lure is out of the equation. I'm not sure this method is for everyone but I have made many many rods so I have a bit of intuition here.

Hopefully Ron Arra will see this as I know he is a rod scientist and therefore will have more concise info.

Good luck with that Alvey and I'd love to give that thing a fling!!

CD