Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vermonter

Guide spacing suggestions and sizes for RS 1466

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Been swamped with work the last month and now fishing season is upon us, can anyone give me some suggestions for guide spacing on a 10'-6" 2 piece Rainshadow blank(2-5 oz rating by Batson)? I'll initially tape the guides on and do some test casting so they may move a small amount in the end. Im thinking 5 guides and a tip, reel seat center is 28 inches from the butt. Reels will be either the 4500 or 5500 Daiwa Emblem XT and the setup will be used to jig the Canal and toss heavier wood both there and on the outer beaches. This blank has a slighly lighter tip than I was expecting for a rod thats rated for 2-5 oz.

Have you looked into the New Concept guide placement system?

Example, on a seven foot freshwater rod I end up using 9 guides, they are all smaller, lighter than the conventional set up. The theory is to get the line going straighter sooner, keeping the line off the blank to eliminate line slap and thus improve casting distance. More guides also distribute rod stress better and help in keeping tip breakage down. I used 10 on a 10'6" surf rod and am pleased with the results.

You will find that most of the higher end factory rods (especially freshwater) are now being built that way.

I've seen the concept guides in catalogs but havent ever wrapped a rod using that system. Also I was thinking that by using the more standard 5 guides Id then be able to space them all on the upper section of the rod since its 2 piece, just felt they'd do more good there...not much flex to the lower section.