Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matty Fish

Broken GSB1081L's

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I've broken 2 GSB1081L's in the last 5 years. Both times that I have broken them, its been exactly at 18", and have heard of plenty of others breaking about there. In calling Lamiglas a couple years back, they said that 18" was the point where they turned the blank, and not to put a guide or wrap a couple inches within the 18" mark. Now, in calling Lamiglas yesterday and speaking with Josh in the Repair and Warrenty department, he says this blank has no weak points, etc. We even compared spacing and it was pretty close. Now, has anyone else had any experience with this blank breaking, or is it just me? redface.gif

Never had a problem with mine or any I have built.

If the 18" spot is the "weak point" then having a guide right on it would be what would protect it. not keeping the weak spot between guides.

That's why I wanted to call them this week. I don't think a company like Lamiglas would put out a product knowing full well that it had a weak point like that. I currently use 5 guides on most of my surf rods, what would be the advantage of going to 6?

P.S. - This is a spinning rod

Merry Christmas Everyone! smile.gif

breaking at 18", that is interesting? I have built no less than 40 surf rods, useing the 1081l, and 1081m,s.with no recalls? However I am adding a 5' butt section to the rod for a total lenght of 13'. Rods being used to surf on the north coast (Ca' Ore). Most rods I used 6 guides, bait fisherman tell me they are useing up to a six oz. sinker. As stated no breaks as of yet. Wonder if this could have been confined to a series of rods run?. In any event adding more guides toward the tip end should relieve tension at the 18" critical point.

Matt,

I figured I'd bump this thread. My GSB1081L just broke at 18" from the tip while casting. Did you ever get a resolution on this regarding the guide spacing being an issue?

-Mike

Guys,

The placement of guides or wether 5 or 6 in number will make no significant difference to the integrity of this rod blank. You just can't reasonably expect that the splinting efect of a guide will either add or detract from a blanks strength. That comes from good blank design and good manufacturing techniques and the right materials.

I don't understand the term "turned" so can't really comment on that. I have found through the years that it is around the 18 inch mark that a blank will break on most surf designated blanks when they do go. It depends so much on the blank lay up as to how strong the blank is and for how long it may last and also the amount of abuse / over loading that it may have to edure over it's working life.

It can be the user in many cases. Inappropiate casting styles for a given rod , plain bad casting, high sticking or simple over loading of the rod blank. Not saying the origional poster is guilty of this but we all see it.

theres plenty of threads here about broken lamis (and other brands). this is the only in almost 8 years i can recall with the 1081L being a bad blank headscratch.gif

in protest of this thread, i just whacked 2 1081Ls against my wall...there still fine.

tbyrne, just curious, what similar blank did he recomend?