Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BeachBob

Surf Rod help ...

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

In the need for yet another rod - a cheap but decent blank or completed rod for lobbing bait at the beach ... recommendations, please?

[/font]

• conventional reel quides (using a Squidder)[/font]
  • 9' - 10' length[/font]
  • 20-40# line[/font]
  • throws up to 6 or 8oz of lead[/font]

Any comments on the Daiwa Sealine-X series?

SL-XS 1002 MHRS, 10', 3-6ozs, 15-30# line - Cabela's got it for $70 ... ?

Anyone got a suitable used 2pc for sale?

Thanx In Advance, guyz.

that sealine x is a great rod but 4 oz is tops....

for 6-8 oz and bait, i'd look at the 10' oceanmaster available at bassproshops or the 11-12' tica or tsunami rods..

the daiwas are great, but if you will be casting the weights you mention regularly, i don't think the daiwas are cut out fo rthat.

I am with the Zamboni Man icon14.gif . The 1213M is perfect for 6 and bait. You can get the blank for under $100.00, wrap it or get it wrapped and have a stick that you can be proud of that will last a lifetime. Don't compromise here...they are absolutly the best, medium heavy chunker out there. It'll be perfect for the Squidder as well.

They are available in honey color or the cool stealth black. Do a little search here on SOL and you'll see nothing but excellent reviews.

Jeff

Check with Tim, He might be able to get you one.

It is a great blank whether you leave it at 10ft or trim the butt a bit. I have done both 10ft and 9ft versions. Very easy to lob a chunk and 6+ lead

without worrying about the chunk coming of or the rig "helocoptering" like with a stiff stick.

LAMI 1364M Honey Blank, shave 7-8 inches off the tip, bringing it down to 10' 9", will huck 8+Bait no problem, total cost for me was $160 for blank and components match with squidder no real seat just clamp it

IMO the best 10 foot bait rod is built on the Allstar 1209 blank. Supposedly a Rainshadow SU1209 is now available with the same action , power , etc. A little more than a Daiwa but a really serious rod .

A custom SB1215M conventional is what I use. Can throw 4oz to over 12oz. Caught my 42lber 2 years ago on large bunker head. A very versatile rod for bait.