Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcaster1

Guide Sizes for a GSB1081L

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I want to build new surf stick for backsides of inlets. I'd like to build it on a Lami GSB1081L. My question is - which guide sizes to use? I'll be using it with a Penn 710Z with 20 lb. Fireline. I was thinking of using 40, 25, 20, 16, 12 with a 12 tip. I see some guys build it 40, 30, 25, 20, 16 with a 16 tip. (I am not wrapped up in using the Fuji Concept system on this rod).

It seems to me that a 12 tip would offer less air resistance and a faster tip speed.

All recommendations on how I might build this rod are appreciated.

Thanks,

I use Fuji BSVLG's...40,30,25,20,16 & a 12 tip. It works out very well. the rod casts great...BTW, a 16 tip vs 12 tip is unnoticable when it comes to wind resistaqnce, its all personal preference.

BC

The last one I built and now wish I never sold was YSG 30,25,20,16,12,12 and 12 Tip. I built it for 20lb braid and a VS 150. It was one sweet setup! I gotta build another before spring.

Bruce

There are lots of good layouts for that rod depending on the application. For beach fishing I like Hardloy guides BHVLG 40HH then single foot 30 , 25, 20 ,16 and a 16 SiC tip. All fuji .

Picked up the components for this rod today. This blank looks like its going to be a lot of fun to use.

I went with 40, 30, 25, 20 & 16 hardaloy guides. Could not find a 16 tip to fit blank so I'm going with a 12.

Sincerely appreciate everyone's advice.

Thanks,

Surfcaster1

Lots of times to get the 16 tip to fit the lighter rods you need to do one layer of A thread before epoxying the tip on. That makes for a bigger tube size and usually gets you to where the smaller tubed 16 ring fuji SIC will fit. I like to epoxy the thread one coat and cure , then epoxy on the tip.

SC1 about three or four years ago I had this same rod built I put on a VS150 but I got the guide placement from a member here the "Prefessa" he built one for a friend and experimented with the guide placement let me tell you, this rod is a casting machine icon14.gif and it can turn a decent fish ...its my go to plug rod in most cases (unless I`m fishin big water) its light and versatile ...I`de suggest you do a search on "1081L" or "best blank for bombers" in this forum ya might be able to find it......Johnny