Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfster

surf stick question?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

i need a answer.

i was at my local tackle shop and they had three custom 9ft. one piece surf rods. they were nice rods except for the stripper guide it was one of those old wire type and very large. the rest of the guides were fugi guides and well wrapped.

what is the purpose of this?

will this guide hold up to superlines?

asked the guy working he did not know.

dan.

Dan,

This is the classical New England set up with the large steel stripper guide. That was before the introduction of the Fuji High Frame Surf Guides 40HH and 50HH. Alot of New England builders still use that set up.

As far as whether the stainless guide will stand up to the new superlines, my guess is that it will with certain caveats (reservations).

- The quality of the chrome plating will determine the durability of the guide. There are many poor quality chrome plated guides out there. The best are made by Perfection.

- Chrome stainless guides must be cleaned after each use or eventually they will pit and rust up. Then the plating will flake off. This will play havoc with any line, particularly braid.

- The new superlines are very smooth and slick so they will not damage the guide.

If you like the rod and you are aware of all the issues, and the price is right, then go for it.

Al

It was an article of faith among rod builders back in the old days that the stripper---or the "gathering" guide as it's referred to on a spinning rod---had to be as near as possible to the diameter of the reel spool to avoid "choking" the line on the cast. As Al said, a properly spaced hi-frame ceramic material guide of 40-50 mm does the job without choking, generates less line friction, and is more durable.

Perfection is the only game in town now--or the only quality manufacturer, at least---for those large diameter wire guides. Mildrum also made a good wire guide, but they've been out of business for a couple of years. The big gathering guides usually undergo less wear from line than the ones placed higher towards the tip, when the rod is bent under a load. Grooving isn't the main reason I dislike those guides---the bigger problem is that the welds that hold the ring part of the guide to the frame often give way after a season or two.