Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pkg

realigning the guides on factory rods?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

If the guides on a factory made rod are not aligned with the spine of the blank is there any point in making sure that they do? Will this make the rod better? And if so is this a difficult procedure as I have never done any rod work.

Thanks,

pkg

IMHO, re-wrapping a rod is not a big deal. However, the real seat and grip would also have to be replaced as it is very difficult to save them. So, you'd end up building a rod from scratch with added steps of having remove the components and finish. Sell the rod and start over, build it just the way you want it.

my $.02

gad

pkg,

Some may disagree, but the rod spining issue is really over emphasized in rod building. A good deal of quality rod manufacturers build to the curve in a rod and not the spine, which may be just as useful. Depending on the type of rod, spine may have more or less of an effect on casting accuracy. A fly rod may be more affected than a boat rod. I would recomend that you not bother rewrapping an improperly spined rod. Of course, given the choice when building a rod, all rods are spined, but I really think that the affect of spine is not as great as most percieve.