Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big_kitty

outcast blank

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I was wonderin if any of you guys could give me some ideas about guide placement and size for a rod I am building. It is a outcast 1625, rated 4-8 ozs, and its full length 13'6". I am pairing it with a abu 6500 mag elite. I am not your average size fisherman and I have long arms so I was think about the butt being around 32'. I have heard so much about fewer guides for distance and more guides for fightability. I am not to worried about the fighting part, I am more interested in the distance. Any help would be much appreciated.

Send me a PM and I will provide you with the name of a builder that builds on Outcast Blanks. Tell him that I sent you, he will be more than willing to give up the info. Regards Big Dave

Thats a great rod, yer gonna love it! I dunno if that still make em in colors, I think I got the last blue one(had to pry it outa the man's hand when I bought it) and it throws wonderfully!

I dunno how much weight yer throwin; I use mine for 6-10oz+bait, its my go to drum rod, and its built at 12'4.5", 6 guides from a 30, 25, 20, 20, 16, 16, 16tip.

Great rod, good luck with it!

Marky - it's a secret. I'm working on it, if I am able to get them I will post here for those interested. There are 2 guys I know interestedalready, gotta see what is available and for how much before making a decision.

**** is one place to get teh rods built, I'm not sure if they sell blanks. I have 2 contacts in Hawaii I have to call.

They ( H.O .)do mention or say " Outcast' once in awhile ,but not too much! For one thing ,they have alot of Abu's ,did not know they made that many models. So ,lets stick with the Outcast investigation.

I did some digging around " H.O.'s " They advertise the Outcast blank, they are 13.6ft long! Way to long for me ,and hate to have to cut it down to a 11.5fter. I am going to stick with longtime favorites ,Lami's ,that I can buy not too far from the house.

The Outcast Heavers from HO are 12'6" when finished, both models. The way Tres explained it to me was that Version I is 12'6" trimmed from the butt, makes the tip a little more whippy if you will. Version II(the one I have), is trimmed back from the tip to stiffen it up, for the stronger casters out there, still 12'6". The one I have was orginally a demo rod version I, which he turned it into a Version II on the re-wrap, so mine is essentially a Version II built at 12'4.5". Still an awesome rod for sure.

As for the Tuna pullin the Drum, I have no doubt that to be true...but how many Tuna are ya gonna hook pluggin for Rockfish wink.gif As us fellers down this a way say, aint gon' be too many biggrin.gif Plus, yer comparing an offshore fish to an inshore fish, so yer point is moot lol biggrin.gif

Yankees....hehe