Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GRinNJ

Metallic Thread problem

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hey Al,I spiral wrapped a seeker 658 with electric blue gudebrod ht metallic thread and the thread appears to be seperating under the epoxy.. In other words you can see the black nylon core showing through the thread where its wrapped over the guide feet..I under wrapped the rod with the same thread and epoxied the under wraps and let dry before doing a single over wrap..I was careful in preparing the guide feet and polished them smooth after..There is no noticeable cracks in the epoxy and I let the rod sit for two weeks before it was fished to make sure it was dry..Do you have any idea what would cause this and is it ok to use mettalic threads for over wraps..Thanks in advance GREG..

Greg,

It's a quality control problem when the spool was filled at the factory. From time to time this has happen to me and I had to strip it off and rewrap. Another problem that can happen is that there is a knot in the thread while you are wrapping.

My advice is to either wrap another layer over the existing wrap where you have the break and recoat with finish or strip it off and rewrap.

Al

It could be that you apply too much pressure when wrapping that metallic, remember the underwrap don't need any pressure because it does not hold anything, just lay it on gently (I wrapp metallic thread by hand) that's all you need.