Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JimG

Star nickelite blanks??

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Al or anyone,

I did a search and couldn't find anything so I apologize if this already came up but does anyone know if it is possible to get Star Nickelite blanks?

Jim, none of Star's blanks were offered for sale by them, and I'm afraid that the Nickelite series is now history. There's still some finished rods on dealer shelves, but the line is done for, and it's back to the Stellar Lites as the top end of the Star product line. Apparently they decided they were just not competing well and moving enough product at that price range and made the decision to deep six 'em the end of last year. Star is now owned by Henry's Tackle (a very large distributor / wholesaler) and at Henry's annual dealer show this past January, the Star booth cut loose all of their remaining Nickelite display rods (not a usual thing at all) rather than take them back to the warehouse, since the line was entering the history books.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 02-23-2002).]

Jim,

I do not know who manufactures the blanks for Star Rods. Also, be careful of the marketing hype.

If you found a Star Nickelite rod that you really like, please tell me it's specs and the application and I will recommend several excellent blanks for you to consider.

Al

No marketing hype to beware of in this case, Al. I know Star's only starting to make inroards up on your part of the coast (they're getting there, thoughsmile.gif), but below the Mason Dixon line they've been, and still are, the class factory built rod of choice, and a huge favorite among Florida hardcores since 1958. Not exactly a new kid on the block. I'd put their fit, finish, component selection, and quality control up against any factory line going these days. And I do mean they can run with the best of 'em, bar none.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 02-23-2002).]

Thanks guys,

the reason i was asking is because I do like the rods but the nickelite casting rods aren't offered (from what i have found ) in any sizes between 7 and 10 foot.

I am considering having a rod built for a abu garcia 6500 in around the 8-9 foot range.

I typically never throw a lure lighter than 5/8 or heavier than 2 1/2 oz. That range may be too wide , but i am thinking of an (almost)everyday rod.

It's a shame they are discontinuing them, they are real nice for a factory rod. I may have to grab a 7 footer before they are gone.

Jim, they did produce, last year, four one piece, cork-handled 7'-6" conventionals which handled wt. ranges from 1/4 - 3/4 on up to 1/2 - 2 1/2 model. From there, it jumped to two piece (only) 9, 10, and 11 foot conventionals, with the nine rated at 1 to 4 ozs. Several of our DelMarVa area shops stocked the line pretty heavily and should still have some fair stock on hand. Email me if you'd like, for names and numbers.

My buddy has the 9' 2 piece. Conventional, balances well with a Mag Elite, similar in feel to a 9' Arra. Still at $300, it was a tough rod to sell. I like their 6'6"-7' heavy (12-25 or 15-30) spinners at less than half that. If you can point me at some closeouts, I'd appreciate it.

Hey Jim, One of my favorit rods is nickelite 9',10-25lb,throws 1-4oz.It's perfectly matched with a 6500 ABU. I simply love this set up. Maybe you can use its specs on AL's suggested blank. 6"-13"-21"-29"1/2-39"1/2-50"1/2-62"3/4 10-10-12-12-16-20-25

This rod has a 20" butt witch is nice in the surf.Hope this helps you out.

Al, Thanks for the suggestions...decisions decisions.

By the way Bill, I contacted Star Rod Company and they told me that ONLY SELECT models of the nickelites are being discontinued. The guy I spoke with wasn't sure exactly which ones but he told me that the 7'6" casting model in 2 ranges will NOT be discontinued.

I also tried to convince him to sell me blanks. He wouldn't go for it. - but I'm not done trying.