Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capt. Mike

Fitting the Tip

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al,

I just got the components (most of them) to put together 4 Calstar 655XH tuna rods. I'm building them with Aftco UB2S butts and wind on guides. My question is with the tip. They say the blank has a 12 tip so I bought 4 #12 heavy duty roller tips. Unfortunately they only slide on around 1/4 inch onto the blank. Should I have ordered #14's instead or is there something I'm missing? Also a question on guide spacing. On your Mojo Tuna stick your spacing guidelines are based on a 5.5' completed rod. I'm going to complete these at 6' so are the stripper & #22 going to go in the same spots or should I move them a bit? Thanks in advance.

Mike:

ive run into that myself. some manufacturers say its a 12 and mean that you need a 12 tip. Others say its a 12 and mean that the tip of the blank itself is 12/64ths of an inch and you need the next size up for the actual tip top. Sounds like your the latter.

Now you need 2 more blanks to use them size 12 tops. Thats my mentality anyway. Maybe thats why I have 100 fishing rods in my basement.

BH

Mike,

You need to move up to a #14 tip and fill in the sloppy part with threadwrap and finish on the tip.

For a six-foot rod just add one more of the smaller wind-on guides.

Al

No masking tape. Wrap the tip with thread and give it a coat of finish. Let it sit for a few days to cure. Then lightly sand the tip area a glue tip on with 5-minute epoxy glue.