Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark

Getting an even epoxy finish...

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al,

This is a great new addition to the SOL community. Thanks for agreeing to start a rod building forum.

I've been building rods for my personal use (and for friends and family) for about two years. I started building them for a number of reasons: winter hobby, save money, use better components. I've never been interested in building fancy rods, just ones that fish well and get the job done.

My first question is pretty basic:

What's the best way to get a really smooth even epoxy finish over the wraps? I use both Flex Coat high build, and flex lite depending on the type of rod I'm building. After applying finish to the threads, I put the rod on a 6 rpm drying rack and let it go. While the finish usual evens out and cures nicely, I'm wondering if might get an even better finish by heating the epoxy with an alcohol burner while it's on the dryer.

My second question is also basic:

Do you use underwraps on every rod you build? If not, which rods don't get an underwrap?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

You have asked probably the most frequently asked question that novice rodbuilders ask me at seminars.

The answer to your question is a long one. Please check out www.screamingreel.com and Al Goldberg's Tackle Corner. Last year I did a series of articles on rod building. Go to Part 4 for the article on finishing. All your questions should be answered. If you have anymore questions please post them on the board.

Al G.

Mark:

Let me pass on what flex coat reccomends. Now let me first tell you that you can get very good results with a single coat of the high build, but it takes alot of experience with the product to do this. The easiest way is the following:

Coat # 1: use flex coat lite. The goal here is to simply saturate the threads, not build up a finish. Always use a tack cloth before applying finish and follow the package directions to the letter so that you don't get bubbles. The reason for flex coat lite is that I have found that thinning solvents like acetone act as free radical initiators and will cause yellowing of the finish with exposure to UV.

Coat # 2 use the High Build Flex coat. Don't Glop it on! You want another thin coat. When you use too much flex coat it will be hard to level and will crack. You want the rod to look like it has 15 coats of varnish on it.

Also Use NCP thread and NEVER use color preservative. Flex coat is like any other Epoxy , the more ridges it has to bite on the better it holds.

Hope these additional suggestions help.

Prefessa,

Thanks for the advice. I have several rods that I'll be building over the next 5-6 months and will do some experimenting based on your suggestions and the guidance in Al's article.

Regards, Mark