Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ishmael

Buying blanks, sight unseen

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'd like to try to keep myself busy this winter by building my first rod, but no one up here carries blanks. How can I pick a blank without seeing it in person?? Is it possible??

I keep hearing how great the 8' Ben Doerr is for the fishing we do up here - which are the best blanks to emulate this rod?

Thanks guys.

Ish

Hold off until late March and take a drive down to the Mass Striped Bass Assn show in Kingston, Mass. You'll find plenty of blanks there at Hatteras Jack's and CMS' booths.

Ish;

Maybe one of the rod builders would pick one and ship it to you!?!

Getting it here isn't the problem - it's picking one over another without being able to see them in person, and feel the flex, weight, etc.

Ish

Ish, I feel your pain. There is no place up here that has blanks. And you cant very well ask a local guy to order you a blank just to "get a feel of it" and then decide you dont want it. Ive made a couple of rods myself, and have a couple of blanks that I planned on building over the summer but the plans have now moved to winter. What I did was ask a lot of questions in this forum and go from there. I havent been disappointed so far. Some of these guys have built lots of rods and a few questions can get you pretty close to what you want. Many times these guys will give you a better feel for what a blank can do, rather than the rod company's approximation. Such as :a rod can be rated for plug weights 1 to 6 ounces but someone may know from experience that it handles 2 to 3 best. Most everyone tells you that Lamiglas is the best but too expensive for me. From there you go to the all-star, and rainshadows. And St Croix has many different blanks now, all depends on the reel, and how you want to use the rod. I think that the Tackle Shop in Portland can get St Croix blanks if you want to go through him. Not sure if this helps but just telling you what I did, seeing as we live in the relatively same area.