Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
congruent

Trigger grip on Surf Rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I am building a rod on a Rainshadow SU1508F 12'6" blank. I was thinking of using a trigger grip reel seat. It feels like it would be good for casting. I don't see many Surf Rods with trigger grips, any reason why?

Thanks

One reason is that the bigger seats needed for a surf blank are not made in a trigger configuration. The trigger seats also don't work so well at holding the foot shape of many todays larger conventionals frown.gif

trigger real seats up to size 22 are available.

CD is right about not holding well. I tried a putting a Avet SX on a rod with a size 18 reel seat an it looked snug but popped out when i was hooked up.

Picked up my son's new jiggin' stick at surfland(beautiful job by StriperSniper63 biggrin.gif ) today. It has a Fuji trigger seat. The thing grabs Abu 6500 and 7000 really nicely. The trigger allows you to thumb the spool a lot tighter since you don't have to worry about holding on to the rod. My son holds on to his rod several inches in front of the reel. I palm my reels and don't like to hold the threads of a downlocking seat, so I have non trigger seats on my sticks. If you are going to use a downlocking seat on a conventional rod, definitely go with the trigger.

Avet makes a special reel foot you can switch out with the origional. It is specifically designed to fit a trigger seat.

If you go with a trigger, try your intended reel in the seat before installing the seat on the rod. The foot should fit deeply into the rear hood. I like trigger for casting, but it doesn't work with some of my reels. frown.gif

I have a little arthritis in my hand and the trigger helps when casting. This is especially true with 8 and bait on big rods. I am partial to the accessory trigger called "Trigrr-Clamp". It is available through Bass Pro Shops to fit a wide range of reels.It does not damage the reel seat and helps to stabilize reels with short feet such as the Newells. Gives the same sense of secure grip as you get with a spinning reel.

Marc

i built a Baton 1087 last year, and used a fuji trigger reel seat. i mounted an abu 6500 c3 on it, and i like the trigger. i seem to feel that i've got a better grip on the rod when i'm walking out onto a jetty, or when i'm cast from the jetty.

i seem to remember a trigger that you can add onto a seat that does not have a trigger. i don't know where i saw it, or if it's the LSD from my college days making me say this, but i swear that i remember seeing this somewhere. IF this does exist, then you could try one on one of your current rods, and see if you like it. or, you could always add a trigger seat, and if you don't like the tripper, take a hacksaw to it, and voila!, no more trigger.

i guess it all comes down to personal preference.

I'm a big fan of triggers. I put them on all my conventionals where the seat is available. My new century canal rod doesn't have one since it needed a 24 seat and the triggers only go to 22 seat size as was already mentioned.

I use ABU BG7000CL reels on all the bigger stuff and ABU 6500 or Calcutta 400's on the lighter rods. No problem with the seats grabbing.

they do make seperate stand alone triggers you can add on to any reel. I have nver done it since i beleive they will end up too far back from where i'd like them.

On the larger reel seats where the triggers are not available , the hoods are very large and you'll find you can get almost the same hand support as you would from a trigger by wrapping your index finger around the front of the hood.