Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oznavad

The Ultimate Long Island Chunking Rod

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

Big Country posted a question on the Main board that I thought might get some other responses here. The question really asks for suggestions for the ideal surf chunking rod for Long Island's south shore. Being a guy who's not known to chunk, I don't have any practical experience with such rods. I'd like to build one myself this winter and was wondering if you have any suggestions for a blank (conventional, of course). I'm not sure but I think that 6 or 8 oz. of lead plus bait is the typical payload.

Oz,

Not knowing the surf conditions and the sinker requirements it would be hard to pick a blank. However, since you are chunking, the odds are you will be spiking the rod in the sand. In addition, if you are not a frequent chunker than I would probably go with a less costly blank.

My choice would be an Eglass Lami SB1213M. It's a favorite of the C.C. Canal Rats for heavy plugging and live lining bunker and herring.

Al

Lamiglas GSB 136 1MH. Or, if you want something around 10', the 122 1MH. Low modulus graphite that can take a little more abuse than the higher modulus XRA blanks, or some other makes.

Or, cut the tip of an S-glass SSB 136 3M back to a size 14, and cut as much from the butt to wind up with your desired overall length.

If you want E-glass, you can't beat the SB 121 3M. You can get it in yellow or black. I would mention the Harrington/Harnell 542, but the only local source I knew of is currently closed. You could go to their website at http://www.harringtonrods.com/index.html and request a catalog, then order it direct from Harrington.